Andy Marsh

I am having trouble with my rear drum brakes on my 1360. i have replaced the shoes and wheel cylinder and used all adjustments possible but still cant get the drum back on. All parts are correct and i have springs in correct place but still not good, can anybody help. I know this might seem a trivial problem but it's driving me mad.
Thanks

Make certain that the adjusters are wound so that the shoes are as close together as possible -watch them as you wind the adjuster, and they may need a shove to move in as well so wind with one hand while squeezing the shoes together,  the drum should then slide on.....then reset the adjustment.

Have you made sure the cylinder is sliding freely on the backplate (often seize up as they don't move very often), the handbrake is slackened right off (If you have fitted new shoes the handbrake will have been adjusted to compensate for the worn shoes) and have you made sure the shoes are centralised (I do this by placing the drum on one shoe then gently tapping the drum up or down to align with the second shoe).

KevinR wrote:
Are you looking at the correct adjuster - it is not a cam, it is a screw with a conical head with flats, and should go through several turns to push a pair of wedges out to move the shoes.
Well, you're both right in a way. The adjuster can go through several turns total, but it works in quarter-turn adjustments! Again, if the adjuster doesn't seem to be functioning (i.e., if you really only get one quarter-turn out of it), take it off, clean and lube it, and put it back on!

Those adjusters do tend to seize up so Andy could be right. The best way I've found to free them up is to remove it from the car and use a vice to hold it while you work some oil into it. You might also need to apply some heat if it's really stuck - be careful not to break it off. Once it's free it should turn really easily just with your fingers (with the shoes off of course).

I agree, Steve, especially about the heat. I've probably "rejuvenated" several dozen of these adjusters, starting with a small propane torch to free them up, then disassembling and wire brushing to clean everything up, then reassembling with white lithium grease.

Andy_Marsh wrote:
... Cleaned up the adjuster and reassembled it but adjustment is only very small
I'm still confused by this. There should be at least several full turns of the adjuster post avaiable (again, in quarter-turn increments), resulting in a fairly 'wide' range of adjustment.

Yes they look the same in all ways but are a fraction out on the lenght, once ground down they fit perfect. I even called a mate who is an ex mechanic to have a look to make sute that everything was fitted ok, who gave me shoes the green light that everything was fitted correctly. IT was simply the size of the shoe's

So it's the friction material which is too large? I'm not overly surprised, what with some newly made stuff. Dare I ask where you got them from? It may be nice to contact the place to give them a polite heads-up - could be a slightly odd batch.

Some people can't seem to read a rule properly. Did Goodridge finally sort out the correct length of their flexible brake hoses for Heralds with front drums so they didn't rub on the wheel? Their rear hoses are a tiny bit longer too which is why mine rubbed on a halfshaft when the car was low.

Sorry, pretty stressed today so in a moaning mood!

Archived