Eezi-bleed 13/60 brakes, but need a correct cap

Steve1928

Hi all, I need to bleed my single line brakrs, gonna use the eezi-bleed because there so easy to use. The resevoir on my herald has a much wider diameter cap than the largest of caps I have with the Gunson.  My plan is to drill the existing cap and use that. Obviously i'll then need a new cap, has anyone got one? Anyone want to stop me before I ruin a perfectly good cap?

You can buy a pack of unusual size caps for the Eezi bleed. This contains the correct size cap for the freaky-large master cylinder on late 13/60s. Not cheap but saves a lot of hassle.

This thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Eezibleed-Multi-Cap-Kit-G4063-/160582703271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25637998a7#ht_3160wt_827

I am generally a big fan of Gunson products and have one of their gas analysers, carb balancers and colour tune. I also have an eezi-bleed kit. What a piece of cr*p. I have had it for years used it on a few occasions, very low pressure, tightly screwed on cap. Brake fluid always finds its way out of the cap. If you really want to use it cover the area in rags and tie one around the lid. I drilled a 1500 spit cap, used the kit and then just plugged the hole with a rubber grommet with no problems. Nowadays I have reverted to a length of rubber pipe submerged in a jar of brake fluid. More controlled and less likely spray out of the bleed nipples and cap, de-solving paint off various parts of the car.

Mark

I agree with all the others - put it in the bin! You can buy the larger resevoir cap from Gunson but it's made of plastic and is too flexible and will always blow under even low pressure, resulting in brake fluid everywhere - ask me how I know!

By far the best tool is a cheap one similar to this one, but you can get these from any autospares shop including Haflfords - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-37316-BRAKE-BLEEDING-KIT-/180529668810?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a086822ca

Hello Jason,

yes, the instructions say no more than 10 psi, so using a spare wheel is too much pressure, fully inflated.

I've used one for years and quite happy with it. However I have just bought another type to try, which uses compressed air to suck the fluid out and collects it in a container, still to try it though.

Alec

Steve_Curton wrote:
I agree with all the others - put it in the bin! You can buy the larger resevoir cap from Gunson but it's made of plastic and is too flexible and will always blow under even low pressure, resulting in brake fluid everywhere - ask me how I know!

The large reservoir cap in the kit I linked is metal.

What are peoples opinions on marmite? Not my taste personally.
Anyone who's ever tried to bleed a twin circuit Mini will know the joys of pressure bleeding. If I dissolve my lovely smart bulkhead paint I'll post a picture and accept all comments of I told you so. Thanks Zendervision, I've purchased from eBay.

Incidentally the big late 13/60 master cylinder tripped me up the other day. I hadn't noticed that the bracket is different from the clutch one until after I'd taken them off, and naturally guessed wrong when I put them back. Only realised when I turned the key and found the brake lights stuck on.

4245 wrote:
What are peoples opinions on marmite? Not my taste personally.
Anyone who's ever tried to bleed a twin circuit Mini will know the joys of pressure bleeding. If I dissolve my lovely smart bulkhead paint I'll post a picture and accept all comments of I told you so. Thanks Zendervision, I've purchased from eBay.

i cant understand how you are haveing problems bleeding a mini, i never did, found them simple,  you must be doing somthing wrong, as for pressure bleeding what a wast of time, get a jar and a pipe, wonder how thay managed when first started useing Hydraulics brakes

People who have had issues with eezi-bleed are always because "I got brake fluid all over my bulkhead" — it's pretty obvious where the problem lies? Operator fault…

For those that realise it's going to do that unless you properly do the cap up it's a no brainer how much more convenient it is.

None of that shouting "up" "down" "up" "down" for me thanks…

Steve_Curton wrote:
Use the simple device I posted a link to and there is no shouting "up, down, up, down" and either way you have to visit each wheel, so where's the hardship - and all with no bulkhead mess. I am not a numpty, I do know how to use an Eezibleed, just my experience is they're not always up to the job.

Got to agree with you Steve,

dar wrote:

i cant understand how you are haveing problems bleeding a mini, i never did, found them simple,  you must be doing somthing wrong, as for pressure bleeding what a wast of time, get a jar and a pipe, wonder how thay managed when first started useing Hydraulics brakes

Ever wished you'd never asked a question?
Twin circuit mini's well known to he difficult to bleed from dry, what's wrong with something that makes a job (much) easier?
Kit purchased as recommended, cap was plastic and in my opinion well moulded, very. stiff and more than up to the job. The joys of 1 man break bleeding where a pleasure without any mishaps what so ever, all precautions obviously taken. Maybe opinion willl always remain devided on this subject.

Archived