TRad

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on brake pads. My current braking system is stock. Its a 4 speed TR7 which i understand vaguely may have smaller brakes than the 5 speeds?  Either way, I've bought some replacement shoes for the squealing rear brakes.  The front pads are low - Any advice on which pads to put in? I don't want to spend a lot at the moment and am looking at the standard brake pads, which I know are not great, but for gymkhanas and autosolos do me fine for now.  Any thoughts on the EBC greensuffs? Worth investing more and getting a set of these and combining them with stock discs already on the car?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

The 5 speeds have larger rear brakes but they are no problem anyway.

I'd fit decent standard pads in the front - Mintex probably, maybe go for a slightly uprated set if they do them for a standard TR7.  They should be fine for gentle autotesting but TR7 front brakes are marginal - don't overdo it!

Thanks for the advice.  I've just bought some Mintex 1109.  I see the 1144 are more suitable for road rallies etc, but at this stage, the price difference is a deal breaker for me.  I'll see how I get on with these standards. Might need to keep the anchor on board and chuck it out the window if things get to hairy!

Any idea if the standard sims and split pins etc will fit onto these 1109 pads?  I assume they don't come with the pads as standard?

michael wrote:
mintex 1144 regards michael

I have used the EBC Green Stuff pads over the years but found them to lack ultimate bite.
Put Mintex M1144 in the front brakes of my DHC.
They should be better (and more expensive), but for obvious reasons I haven't tested them yet ...

10 years ago I fitted some Greenstuff on my GT6 and they were a marked improvement on the albe-it bizarre european OE pads i'd fitted previously.
However, some years later, I bought a second pair of Greenstuff and these weren't anywhere near as good- brake fade when you don't want it! They were also really dusty- not something the original GS did? :-/
I've heard said that Greenstuff changed their pad material at some time, which might lend some weight to my recollections.
Anyway, given my spirited driving and Trackday abuse, I then went for Mintex 1144 and can't speak highly enough of them. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi Beans
the EBC green stuff pads I had on the standard discs lasted only 10 k km. Then I bought EBC cross drilled discs and fitted new EBC green stuff pads; probably now they won't even last 10 k km. The brake efficiency with the new set-up is not much better than before. So if I see this picture I am thinking again of the Capri disc / M16 caliper conversion; I will probably do it after the next MOT.
Thomas

I used to have EBC pads in the set up shown in the picture.
Wasn't to bad, only faded after two laps of the Nordschleife  ;D
The Mintex pads, although very hot, didn't fade at all.

But the brake fluid looks rather murky after 8200 kilometres  :X

1958 wrote:
Hi Beans
the EBC green stuff pads I had on the standard discs lasted only 10 k km. Then I bought EBC cross drilled discs and fitted new EBC green stuff pads; probably now they won't even last 10 k km. The brake efficiency with the new set-up is not much better than before. So if I see this picture I am thinking again of the Capri disc / M16 caliper conversion; I will probably do it after the next MOT.
Thomas

Not sure if it's of any help or not. But this is my take on it:

-fancy cross drilled and grooved discs, these are for show and offer no gain in performance. While it's true there may have been benefits in the past in with pad scrubbing and gas expansion outlets, this isn't the case with most modern road grade pads. I believe somewhere on the EBC website there is info telling you the grooved/drilled discs are only for show and offer no actual benefit. This is true for most brake disc makers.

-Greenstuff pads are pretty shite. If you must run EBC only run Red or preferably Yellowstuff. If they don't make them for your car in these grades buy another brand.

Archived