Big wheels / Big Brakes

TRMALLY

Can anybody give me advice on increasing the front brake sizes and wheel sizes.
I have a rally replica TR7 V8 that i am going to sprint/trackday eventually.
If i put the big brake conversion on the fronts poss hi-spec 325mm discs i will have to go from 13 to 15inch rims.
Am i going to really feel a difference with 325mm discs and would i benefit from 15inch wheels anyway.
With my current wheels i have compomotive ML 8inch fronts and 10 on the rear but am unable to get road legal tyres to fit the 10,s correctly.
Now i seem to be able to get 15x9inch Compomotive wheels - Any ideas i dont know which way to go? Have you any experience or Your thoughts please.

So at the moment you haven't done any sprints or hillclimbs?

Do you currently have the standard brakes?  Hopefully not, with a V8 in the car!

I would suspect that you don't need massive brakes or at least ones so big that you must go to 15" wheels.

A sprint or hill climb is too short a distance to suffer any brake fade for example.

I am taking part in Historic tarmac rallies and the MSA rules & regs means I must use 13" wheel, no wider than 6".

Actually I use 5 1/2" wide wheels as the rules and regs also say I can only use a 70 series tyre - a 185/70R13 tyre doesn't need a wider wheel ;)

So - 13" wheels can still be used in tarmac rallying which will have stages much longer than a sprint or hill climb.

Always difficult in giving advice as it all depends on your car's setup, use and driving style.
A few points to bear in mind though;

• Most important thing when choosing brakes is heat dissipation;
  • So first thing to do is make sure your brakes won’t overheat easily, so go for something vented with decent pads;
  • Make sure there is at least an inch clearance between outside of disc and inside of (alloy) wheel;
  • It is said that you can’t over brake a car, but be careful with big brakes as it is not just a matter of bolting something on;
  • The rest of the car has to be up to it (decent suspension set up and grippy tyres ) otherwise you will lock up the brakes rendering them useless;
  • Make sure the brake cylinder has the correct inside diameter (small ø gives more clamping force at the calipers but also a longer pedal stroke0;
B.t.w. I do have a HiSpec set upon my car ...

More info here ...
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/2007/03/braking-t-kreng-part-2.html
and here ...
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/2007/12/t-krengs-front-suspension-upgrade-old.html

Archived