Adding servo brakes to a spitfire

SteveSpitfire1500

I'm fine with the brakes as they are, just my partner won't drive the car because of how hard the pedal has to be pressed, having said that I guess with no ABS adding a servo may make the car easier to skid? It was just a thought as I'd read kits were available. My first car as a teenager was a '66 vauxhall viva, this was such a basic design I think it really taught me to understand how to drive a car as you could really 'feel everything working' ..... guess people who've only ever driven 'new cars' probably feel a bit intimidated by an older car?

Quality pads will give you a major improvement to the brakes.
My car is fitted with mintex 1144 pads and is certainly not wanting in the brake department.
I'm almost certain if your partner drove it for a little while they'd stop noticing.
All manner of people have driven my car over the years,the only one who hates the brakes is my wife.......poor pampered darling ;D
Having said that she used to use it for work years ago its just lack of practice.

BrendanD wrote:
less macho please on the forum.....
my wife likes the servo, and to be honest when you've been in a London traffic jam for two hours getting home on a Sunday evening, so do I.........

Nothing macho about my response,I honestly don't find the brakes a challenge.
My cars completed 3 round britains with different drivers and not one has ever mentioned the brakes other than the first time when we had a near miss in an emergency situation.the brakes locked up as we performed an emergency stop on the brow of a hill.
All the weight was off the car and it skidded to a halt......this is a scaled down version of events,in reality it was a proper brown trouser moment.
A servo would have made no difference to it.

Alex

I've done a bit of work on my brakes recently.  Larger diameter master cylinder, braided hoses on front (still to do rears when I have time) and it has given me the best, firmest pedal ever.  The brakes are fabulous ... I have M1144 fitted too ... And very progressive.

However they do now need a good firm foot pressure.  

I could see why some might want a servo.

I don't feel the need but as long as the rest of the system is properly maintained go for it.  

Servo easier to drive but you will miss a bit of feel (actually quite bit) if your pushing on a tad. So for moping around then fit a servo, but for going for it, then no, depends how you drive, also depends on what brake set up you have, standard or modified.
RR

My self, forget it, too spongey a pedal, no feel, cramps an over crowded bulk head.
almost impossible to get at heater hoses.
and teks / took up space where me spanners go now

frae my recent experiance, well to me anyhoo, with a dodgy peadal.
Bung on a smaller MC, and fit a RPV.  its transformed the brakes no end.

Was going to go bigger MC, but that meant moer pressure and less power.
Smaller MC = moer power for less effort
and the RPV takes care of the longer peadl travel

Plus, when bleeding brakes, ye just pump till air stops coming oot,
as the RPV wont let fluid back flow.

16£ E Bay, try iy first.

its a win win win set up.

M

Hi Steve,
I converted our Spit 1500 this spring to a Servo assisted brake. At the same time changing from EBC green stuff to Mintex 1144.
Yes, pedal a bit spongy, as I changed to Silicone fluid as well.
It transformed the brakes.
I don´t want to miss this set up any more.

Martin

Well with a smaller MC,  a RPV,  the brake pedal needs about a 2lb shuv,  or just a touch of brake,
to get it to stop v v sharp.

If going to RPV, then you will need 2, as ye got drums and discs.
yan for fronts, yan for backs
fronts 1.5 lb, rears  10lb  as rears have got stiff springs in em to pulll shoes off.

there got to be some bod,e else on here fitted em,
whats their  findings.!!!

M