How to tell GT6 brakes apart?

vraksianrebel

I have a spitfire 4/1500 fitted with a 2.5ltr straight six engine, when i bought the car last year i was told that the front and rear brakes had been upgraded to GT6 spec ones, sadly the brakes have failed miserably in the MOT so i am going to rebuild them and replace all the pads, discs, shoes pistons and brake cylinders.
My concern is how to tell exactly which GT6 brakes i have, i need to figure out exactly what i need for the front and rear brakes so hopefully i can get it all back on the road as soon as possible.
thanks for any help guys
Matt

Hi Matt.

The previous owner will have fitted the uprights (vertical links), stub axles, hubs,steering arms, discs and calipers straight off a GT6 onto your spitfire as thats the straight forward bolt on upgrade.

You will have imperial type 16 P or the metric 16 PB, it will say on the side of the caliper here:

You will need standard solid gt6 discs unless it has vented discs fitted which are probably from a Capri 2.8.  

The rear brakes will probably be standard spitfire, but may have had GT6/1500 larger cylinders fitted, you wont know until you strip them down.

The master cylinder may have been changed for the slightly larger bore GT6 one too. (it will have 5/8 on the side of the master cylinder if its a spitfire one)

Can you post some pics?
Gaz

Quote:
The previous owner will have fitted the uprights (vertical links), stub axles, hubs,steering arms, discs and calipers straight off a GT6 onto your spitfire as thats the straight forward bolt on upgrade.

You will have imperial type 16 P or the metric 16 PB, it will say on the side of the caliper

What it says on the casting does NOT indicate the type.

What you need to check is:

The type of dust seal:
16P use bellows seals that do NOT have a retaining ring/spring.
16PB/M16PB have a smaller seal held by a retaining ring/spring.

And, the retaining pins:
16P use large (1/4”) retaining pins
16PB/M16PB use smaller (3/16”) retaining pins.

Bleed nipple heads
If 10mm hex = inconclusive
If 7/16” AF hex = 99% sure not M16PB

If 16PB/M16PB, then:
Pads GBP144 or substitute (may need filing to clear)
Repair Kit 519731
Pad fitting kit (if required) GBK1002

If 16P
Pads GBP144 or substitute (may need drilling and/or filing)
Repair Kit 601960

See also http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1253348427/s-15/

C.