Bleedin' brakes..GT6+ dual system.

XplusYplusZ

My brake warning light has decided to illuminate itself and my brake pedal feels a little sorry for itself. So I figure i'd better try and rectify this situation with a brake bleed. My problem is that I have 2 reservoirs, a large one and a secondary and to be honest, i'm not sure how this little set up works.

Is there anything i need to do differently than with a single reservoir brake system? I was hoping to use the jam-jar bleed technique..

Cheers

Chris

No a standard dual system is fed from one reservoir. The duel part comes from the master cylinder onwards. A single system has one brake line coming from the master cylinder and a duel system will have two or more.

4314 wrote:
My brake warning light has decided to illuminate itself and my brake pedal feels a little sorry for itself. So I figure i'd better try and rectify this situation with a brake bleed. My problem is that I have 2 reservoirs, a large one and a secondary and to be honest, i'm not sure how this little set up works.

Is there anything i need to do differently than with a single reservoir brake system? I was hoping to use the jam-jar bleed technique..
The "jam-jar" technique should still work just fine. Bleed beginning with the bleed screw furthest away. If you're bleeding both front and rear, bleed the rear brakes first.

Your reservoir is actually divided by a partition into two chambers, with the rear system chamber being much smaller (and harder to fill, since only a bit of it is exposed when the cap is off).

The warning light is properly reset (assuming you've found and fixed the problem that caused it to trip) by turning on the ignition (to light the light while the oil light presumably is NOT on -- that's how it's all wired), opening a bleed screw opposite the one where the problem was (if you had a leaky rear cylinder, open one of the front caliper bleed screws), and then exerting careful and steady pressure until the brake light dims and the oil light comes on. You should feel a "click" in the pedal when this happens. Then tighten the bleed screw, and you should be all set.

Many folks reset the shuttle in the PDWA by removing the switch. I prefer not to do that, and the above is the way the factory wanted you to do it regardless!  ;D

herald948 wrote:
The warning light is properly reset (assuming you've found and fixed the problem that caused it to trip) by turning on the ignition (to light the light while the oil light presumably is NOT on -- that's how it's all wired), opening a bleed screw opposite the one where the problem was (if you had a leaky rear cylinder, open one of the front caliper bleed screws), and then exerting careful and steady pressure until the brake light dims and the oil light comes on. You should feel a "click" in the pedal when this happens. Then tighten the bleed screw, and you should be all set.

Many folks reset the shuttle in the PDWA by removing the switch. I prefer not to do that, and the above is the way the factory wanted you to do it regardless!  ;D

Thank you very much for that - The reservoir certainly does have a very small second chamber. I'm not really sure how I will know which circuit is the problematic one. But i'll bleed both - using the reset technique. Either it will right itself in the first bleed, or it'll obviously be the second circuit that needed attention.

Thanks to both for your help on this.

Chris

That's the vexing part of the brake light:  You don't know to which side the shuttle in the PDWA has gone.

But it can't go very far to either side, so if you do it gently, you can try one side then the other.
Work on it with the front brakes; you'll go insane trying to watch & refill the rear reservoir through that tiny crack.

Archived