Hello!

I picked my GT6 up yesterday and made it 6 miles before the brakes ceased and I had to call the RAC. 8)

I'm looking for overhall the brakes and I am thinking of upgrading them slightly is this frowned upon in terms of keeping the car original? i would like to keep as many standard parts on there as I can but upgrading the brakes seems like a safe things to think about. How are the standard brakes if you have to jam on in a pickle? Thoughts of the wise community are welcome, this is my first classic car!

All the best,

Jack

Need more coffee, James? ;D

But he's right, standard set-ups are fine. I've no idea if they sell Maxtorq stuff in GT6 size but if they do then they're brilliant. Then whack on some Mintex pads in 1144 flavour. I'm still undecided over the Pagid ones I'm using. Don't be swayed by cheap pads as they're rubbish. As are - in my opinion - Greenstuff. Don't bother with blind-drilled disc either.

My car has standard discs.
Braided stainless hoses which must be at least 30 years old looking at them...I don't think anyone would spot that they aren't the original ones.
You can put something like an EBC greenstuff pad in, or the mintex 1155.  I've got those and mine'll stop on a sixpence if I slam them brakes on.
Depending on the age of your car it might have a servo on it, if it's got a servo you really did ought to be ok with just the standard brakes.

The thing with brake pads is that you can change them for £30 for some greenstuff ones and then if you DO sell the car you can always put new standard ones back in.  I don't think many buyers would grumble too much about the pads being non original, even the biggest sticklers for originality.  They tend to look for interior modifications and tasteless junk like a sony radio and seats out of an MX5 and a bluetooth phone speaker kit installed.  THAT'S the sort of thing that makes them cringe.

Go with the uprated pads if you like.  It can't do any harm.

Abby

Interesting to know they're still pants. They've changed the compound since I last used them. Possibly to live up to their claims at the time of lasting a long time and producing less dust than standard? As soon as I wore them down (not much over 12k miles, if my memory is correct) I binned them for Mintex 1144. The improvement was staggering!

I want to try 1155 one day, but decided to give the Pagid Fast Road ones a go instead. I'm not convinced they're as good as 1144 but need to get the Herald back on the road to do some proper testing.

I had brake fade on my Spitfire, but that was with a few more geegees than a standard GT6 and with steel wheels.

Overhaul the existing setup, consider alloy wheels if not already fitted as they help cool the discs. I like SS braided hoses as well.  8)

But I would say only only upgrade if there is a problem after overhauling.

If you want a lighter pedal fit a servo, but that does not increase the braking capability, just the effort required.

I  have just fully rebuilt the front calipers on my GT6. Just waiting to fit the dizzy back and then I will report on how good or bad that they are. Also fitted new rear shoes.
My car came with a Sony radio/ CD player.  ;) To be honest I am not too concerned with originality. If something if better than the original part then I will bin the original. Like how original is electronic iginition or EFI, etc.?

I have braided brake lines but I can't shift the brake union nuts and I don't want to sheer the copper pipes...  :(

mintex are the best. low wear rate and no fade . ive done stage rallying in a gt6 years ago with no problems also had in a spitfire and tr4 we used for long distance alpine rallies with no problems. ive tried green stuff on a scimitar sprint car and they were fine. i had them on a rally a40 and they were rubbish. i was told they only work properly if fitted with new discs. i did this and they went off very quickly and gl;azed up . i had to replace the discs as well. Personally that has coloured my judgement and i will never fit them again. Buy from alan at Questmead ,best prices I could find for all mintex uprated compounds. Standard discs are fine imho . new ones arent expensive. flexible hoses can deteriorate internally which can lead to brakes seizing on when the fluid is prevented from moving in the pipe by damaged internals.

Agree that the stock setup with decent pads are all you need for the road. If you fancy doing track days, you may be tempted to fit vented discs to reduce fade.

Capri 2.81 discs go on without too much hassle, I have them on the Vitesse with 1144 pads.

This is worth a read.

Sorry , link no longer available

Glen.

5458 wrote:
Braided stainless hoses which must be at least 30 years old looking at them...I don't think anyone would spot that they aren't the original ones.

So if they're that old, how do you decide when they need changing? Standard hoses will degrade visibly on the outside long before any catastrophic failure, if I don't spot it myself, the MOT man will.

Cheers,
Bill.

thescrapman wrote:
Jack

Splurge out and buy 2 new discs as well. Bed teh new pads in and the difference to re-using the old dics will be noticeable.

Or get you old discs skimmed if they are still well within spec.

cheers

colin

Thanks Colin.

They have plenty of life in them, just a bit manky!  So I'll get the skimmed!

Archived