sparkytph

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

658 wrote:
looks good how does the calipar attach    :)

I made a bracket in plate and bolted it to the hub were the backplate mounts.  

I did it all off the car using a vice and g clamps to hold it all together.  It was all a bit trial and error.  I did have to trim the caliper mounting bracket to get the correct caliper to disc clearance correct.  The caliper did foul the alloy so I have also used a 5mm wheel spacer but my alloys aren't the correct offset so this may be the cause

2402 wrote:
Do you really need better rear brakes??? If you just upgrade the fronts to the 4pots then you def wont need the rears to be any better. Chris.

Exactly If you want better SAFE brakes upgrade the fronts to Gt6.
Fittig discs to the back of a Spit will see you flying through a hedge backwards.

Are 4-pots really worth it, or even upgrading to GT6 when there are plenty of pads and discs to choose from in standard fitments? The Herald can brake as well as a Mecerdes in an emergency, thankfully.  :B
Type 14 calipers, Mintexx 1144 pads and Maxtorq discs.

jcarruthers wrote:
I also wonder the effects of so much more braking power on the swing spring suspension— must be prone to a bit of twist?

James

According to the Btec in motor vehicle studies i did (about 20 years ago) as long as the disc is the same diametre as the drum them you won't get more braking power.  The advantage of the disc is heat dissipation.  Thus getting less brake fade and it looks coooool!!

Gt6s wrote:

Fitting discs to the back of a Spit will see you flying through a hedge backwards.

Previously, I would have agreed with this, and with the other comment about Why?
But I've fitted MGF uprights and discs to the rear axle of SofS.
Not because I wanted more brakes - the Vitesse drums were 'suffient', as Roll Royce would say.  I was fed up with the Triumph axles falling apart.
I was reday to fit a brake proportioning valve ot the rear discs, but it fact it has proved unnecessary.  They seem well balanced to SofS's front dics, which are vented Ford ones with AP claipers, but again, not for 'more' brake but for cooler brake's under stress.  No sign of oversteer under braking, on road or track, in dry or wet conditions.

John

JohnD wrote:

Previously, I would have agreed with this, and with the other comment about Why?
But I've fitted MGF uprights and discs to the rear axle of SofS.
Not because I wanted more brakes - the Vitesse drums were 'suffient', as Roll Royce would say.  I was fed up with the Triumph axles falling apart.
I was reday to fit a brake proportioning valve ot the rear discs, but it fact it has proved unnecessary.  They seem well balanced to SofS's front dics, which are vented Ford ones with AP claipers, but again, not for 'more' brake but for cooler brake's under stress.  No sign of oversteer under braking, on road or track, in dry or wet conditions.

John

John

Can you tell me what shafts you have used?  

Thanks

Tim

I will concurr fully with JD,s comments,   I had been toldbymany a so called guru, that i would end up going backwards,
the folk who say this obviously have no idea of how a disc works,!!!
when I took the car for its mot, the rear braking power was actually less than what the discs were,
Mot man, [ my marra ] said most disc rears will show less  force than drums
the reason I did it, was to get the darn pedal ok, its ok to set you brake drums up cold, but when they hot, there is moer pedal move ment, ,as the drums heat up,and away frae the shoes.

its maybe ok for pintling about, but definatly no good when you coming down frae warp speed  time after time,
as Jonh says, no need for a rear bias valve either,.
so I would say go for it,  there are cars on the market with rear brakes that weigh less than a spittys back end,.
and a gt is no more heavey  on the back end,
here is my set up.

I have to say I would still be against the idea of fitting rear discs to a Spit.
Untill a minimum of Gt6 / Vitesse brakes are fitted on the front.
Note that the objectors re this all have Gt6 / Vitesse brakes as a minimum.

I actually need rear discs on my EFI Gt6 as the 11, 1/4 inch front discs are too effective compared to the stock rears. I can lock up the fronts at "warp speed" without too much dificulty. My rears are just along for the ride.

Laurence

796 wrote:

Mot man, [ my marra ] said most disc rears will show less  force than drums

It took two goes to set up the brakes on the Moggy Traveler properly. It was drum all-round but the brakes were incredible. Only issue with drums is the poor why they dissipate heat.  

I've had fade a few times on the Herald (very long down-hills with lots of beds) but wonder if it's down to the alloys and the way air behaves in that area.

Ferny,have the Moggys,no got  TLS drums, cos if they are,then they are quite effective, if no a bit vicious when applied. this why  TLS are no fitted to the rears.
as for herald brake fading, its the drums heating up, moving away frae the shoes, so you gotta push down harder.  discs will fade for other reasons

Hugh, no the they its own uprights, and discs are standard MX 5, no spacers, just put onto the hubs, [ re drillled discs to suit gt pcd ]
as these were a perfect off set to match the Saxo calipers [ alloy ]
only had to mod the hand brake lever to a 90 deg arm,

you need some saxo calipers, put the left hand innards,into the left hand one, and vice versa.
chop hand brake arm off,  weld a bar on,
ohh and either open up theMX centerby a mm, or turn down the GT hub to suit disc,
better the last way,if you going to keep the discs on ,as new ones will no need to be opened up to fit hub

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/marcusaurailius/GT6%20Brakes/

339 wrote:

John
Can you tell me what shafts you have used?  
Thanks
Tim

Tim,
You need Metro half shafts.   The ones that come from the model with the asymmetric shafts, and then the short one, so a short half shaft from two cars. I think it's the K-series engined version wiht the gearbox on the side, not the BL engined version.   Then you need a spacer/adaptor at the inboard end, to link the Lobro joints (ex-Volvo) to the diff.

John

Archived