Spitfire/GT6 brakes

Ceaser

I have had a look and cant find another thread on this though I might be wrong, are the GT6 front calipers different to the late spitfire MK3/1500 one's?????

And if they are is it worth upgrading from standard spitfire one's?

Cheers

3588 wrote:
I have had a look and cant find another thread on this though I might be wrong, are the GT6 front calipers different to the late spitfire MK3/1500 one's?????

And if they are is it worth upgrading from standard spitfire one's?

Cheers

Why would you want to `upgrade`from Spitfire to GT6?
Not wanting to quench anyones fire in doing any remedial work, just interested
Having good Spitfire calipers and the right pads, there is good stopping power
Having been on many endurance/track events, I personally have had good braking with the standard set up
Going to the expense of changing all the front end for a few millimetres more surface area would see not much more benefit

Rosso,

At the moment I have a 1500 to go into my spit and the standard brake will be fine, my 'big' plan is to put a GT6 engine into the spit at a later date, I tought it would be harder than a straight swap over but just wanted to make sure

michael_charlton wrote:
Why would you want to `upgrade`from Spitfire to GT6?
Going to the expense of changing all the front end for a few millimetres more surface area would see not much more benefit

There's also more leverage due to the larger diameter discs.

and the discs take longer to get hot.

ps Don't think this is needed with a standard Spitfire setup, but useful with bigger, heavier, more powerful engines.

Archived