Brakes - To Worry Or Not To Worry

SteveSpit

Hi guys,

just been out for a bit of a thrash in the spit. Anyhow 20 mins or so in I noticed a burning smell, being in a rural area I paid it no attention assuming it was a farmer burning something. Anyhow I'd say 10 mins later I noticed a distinct lack of acceleration and still the burning smell.

Took foot of accelerator when at speed and noticed a quick drop in speed, put it down to the handbrake as had a fight with it ever since I bought it. Anyhow I finally got home and parked up and started putting the roof up I noticed smoke coming from the NSF wheel. I'd left the handbrake off so as not to sieze it on with the heat and noticed I could not move the car by hand.

Switched the hose on to cool what I think was the disc and caliper down which took a good couple of minutes to do and noticed and oily/greasy residue coming from under the bolt cover (standard steel wheels black cover) I'm assuming that the heat transfer has melted the grease in the trunions?

Questions is should I be looking at replacing the front calipers or seeing how it goes?

Also what other damage could this have caused?

As always many thanks
Steve

Wheel bearing grease melted out, that will need stripping and sorting.
Disc may need replacing too, and the caliper....
I would see if you can push the pads back in. If not, all seized or may be a damaged flexi pipe (acting like a one way valve) If unsure, replace/recon the caliper, after all they are pretty important. Check the other one too. Def new pads, and a pair of discs as they are not expensive.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Wheel bearing grease melted out, that will need stripping and sorting. Easy enough job, worth putting in new bearings in?

Disc may need replacing too, and the caliper.... Shouldn't be a problem mate has a set of calipers off hid old one, only replaced them for the sake of it

I would see if you can push the pads back in. If not, all seized or may be a damaged flexi pipe (acting like a one way valve) If unsure, replace/recon the caliper, after all they are pretty important. Check the other one too. Def new pads, and a pair of discs as they are not expensive.
Once I'd watered them down the car began rolling forward of it's own accord so think they've seized.

Yup, I would stick new bearings in myself, if you are going to the hassle of stripping the hub down you might as well, I don't think that they are particularly expensive?

Also, I would recommend renewing the brake fluid as well to be on the safe side, it generally does not react overly well to heat...........

the bearing races are the two circles of metal either side of the actualy bearing bits , if that makes sence. when you replace the bearings you change the races aswell ( the bearigns i bought had already been punched into thier races.) so you take the old bearings and old races out. normally as one peice. but sometimes if the whole bearign has disintagrated it leaves the inner race on the stub axle. and i had to use oxy acetly torch to melt it off :S

if any of that makes sence .

thanks

correct me if im wrong :)

no one else has spotted this but you said 'grease in the trunnions' ....

front is oil, of course.

Is there enough grease dripping out that you have emptied the bearings? ... I'd not panic (unless you have done obvious damage) - try taking caliper off and moving pistons back in (g clamp), push out - do a few times and check they are freely moving, then pop it all together and see if it works ok.

obviously take care - it's the brakes - but seems a bit keen to start replacing so much after one small mishap.

good luck,

Paul.

Pauls right, take them apart and at each stage of the disassembly test for free spinning, if you get down to the raw hub and its not spinning freely remove the hub and inspect the bearings and trunnions. The dust cap is the biggest pain to get off (from recent experience!).

The grease thing has come from the bearings, think steve has got confused with the terms? the trunnions re the brass thingy at the very bottom of the front vertical link. Those should be filled with gear oil, not grease. The wheel bearings need grease!

As to a small mishap, it could be nasty. Best to take full precaution, and if uncertain do more than probably necessary.
Phils comment about changing the brake fluid is important, something I omitted. But I would be cautious of a brake disc that had been overheated, then quenched with water. For peace of mind I would be inclined to swap for new. About £25 a pair. Likewise flexi hoses, if in doubt best swapped. As to the bearings, if the grease has melted, you may or may not need to replace, but a regrease is required at the very least.

cheers for that guys, I'll order a new set of discs, pads and bearings. May even treat myself to set of braided hoses while I'm at it. Will strip down the spare calipers from my mate and see what if anything needs doing to them. I'll also bang a fresh load of fluid through it.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Thread hijack.... Spooky this, but having read this post yesterday morning, my work Transit did the same thing in the afternoon. Caliper seized on O/S/F , cue smell of burning lining, smoke and a wheel hot enough for the plastic hubcap and nut-covers to melt off.!

Archived