SD1 brakes on GT6 uprights

RemcoB

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My Marcos 1600GT has GT6 running gear, but SD1 brake calipers. It was recently restored, but I'm not happy with the brakes, as the brake pads protrude about 3/4" outside the brake discs. What modification would I need to make to fit these calipers to my car? Are there any suitable brake discs available?

You could just go back to the GT6 16P / 16PB calipers - they fit.  You can also space them and fit 2.8 Capri vented discs.

Presumably you have non-vented discs?  If so I guess you are just wanting larger diameter.  Standard discs are 245mm dia. First thing that comes to mind is TR6, which are 275mm but the info I have suggests they are also deeper from mounting face to the back of the disc by some 100mm or so....  Stag might be one, but I don't have any info on those.  There are a couple of brake catalogues online, which have enough dimensions to get you started.  There are thousands of different discs though.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply. I have four pot calipers, which in theory should give more stopping power, although I'm not sure I'll need it. But more importantly, the SD1 calipers should allow a twin circuit brake system. Stag discs might work, will have a look.

Remco

Do the SD1 calipers bolt directly to the vertical link?  :-/

CITROEN XANTIA discs come as either 266mm or 288mm and have virtuall the same offset as a GT6. You need to redrill the mounting holes and the bell is I think 1mm to small so needs opening up. The advantage is that they are vented discs and larger.

Are the SD1 calipers alloy?  :-/

Always liked the look of a Marcos congratulations. Post a picture?

Richard_B wrote:
Do the SD1 calipers bolt directly to the vertical link?  :-/

CITROEN XANTIA discs come as either 266mm or 288mm and have virtuall the same offset as a GT6. You need to redrill the mounting holes and the bell is I think 1mm to small so needs opening up.

The spigot hole is only about .5 mm smaller so only requires a small adjustment with a lathe.

Many thanks! Very useful link - I'll look into the Xantia discs. SD1 calipers aren't alloy. I might consider using Princess calipers instead; many more people have done it, and they are lighter than the SD1 calipers. Here some pictures of the Marcos.

Nice!

If considering Princess calipers you should also consider the modern alloy copies from HiSpec.  Note that Princess Calipers don't fit directly onto the GT6 vertical link as they have a different hole spacing.  Early Volvo 240s also have 4 pot calipers which are very similar.  You can get around that by either using the caliper mounting plates from an early disc braked Herald (or Vitesse 1600??) or using the Spitfire vertical links.

Do you have the hole spacing of the SD1 caliper mounts to hand?  I'm pondering big saloon brake mods......

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
You can get around that by either using the caliper mounting plates from an early disc braked Herald (or Vitesse 1600??) or using the Spitfire vertical links.

or Canley Classics do a new aluminium version of the Herald/Vitesse 1600 caliper adapter.

2730 wrote:
Many thanks! Very useful link - I'll look into the Xantia discs. SD1 calipers aren't alloy. I might consider using Princess calipers instead; many more people have done it, and they are lighter than the SD1 calipers. Here some pictures of the Marcos.

the princess ones are lighter!!! crikey, what are the SDI one made of!

I am still deciding whether to use the (metric, and nice, cheapo pads) GT6 calipers I have, or the princess 4 pots. I even have a spaced set of 4 pots, so the easy route would be spitfire uprights and 4 pots and GT6 discs, or capri vented discs and spaced 4 pot. Gets trickier if I want to use the GT6  upright, but if I used xantia discs and custom caliper adaptors....oh my head hurts! I need to find a machinist!

Nick_Jones wrote:

Do you have the hole spacing of the SD1 caliper mounts to hand?  I'm pondering big saloon brake mods......

Nick

Let us know when you have finished pondering, I need to replace mine (the fronts give 250 on the brake tester, but so do the backs so I have an imbalance) and am thinking more than just a set of Stag calipers and disks.

I have been told there is a Nissan disc that is easily utilised on Triumph uprights, possibly Bluebird, is used with Wilwood calipers that bolt straight to GT6 uprights.

Cheers

Colin

The alloy Princess calipers don't seem too expensive... especially compared to the aluminium Herald/Vitesse caliper adapter. I need new calipers anyway, as my SD1 units look suspect. They surely have never been reconditioned, pistons feel rough. I don't have the exact hole spacing at hand as my car is in the workshop, but will have a look next week.

It is very beautiful indeed. The "cos" part doesn't come from Mike Costin but from brother and aerodynamicist Frank though! He designed the wooden chassis of the first Marcos, which was slightly modified for the 1800 and the 1600 and 3 litre up to 1969, when Marcos switched to steel chassis. The body of the Marcos 1800GT/1600GT/3 litre was designed by Dennis Adams.

Archived