Brakes failed !!

eproht09

Been loving driving the spitfire (1500) round in the sun with it bouncing along squeaking and shaking ! - was slightly concerned when I got off the motorway and pressed the brakes, the pedal went to the floor ! pumped them and they worked again so got home and had a look.
No leaks or missing fluid, a few bubbles came up when I pressed the brake then they stopped - since then its been fine, wonder what it could be?
Also the fan makes a vibrating noise and seems loose, I fitted an electric one this weekend so wondering if its worth taking the original one off - it does not seem to overheat though anyway, just that the car came with a kenlowe fan (unfitted).
And the heating is stuck on hot (this may have something to do with it not overheating?) the lever wont move !

Any advice on these matters greatly appreciated

eproht09,
I once had a similar experience with my Mk2 Spitfire; a ,once only, pedal to the floor, brake failure. I never found the cause. Two things do come to mind though: First there is the possibility that the front wheel bearings are loose enough to cause the rotor to push the pads far enough from the correct position to require more than one pump of the pedal to get them against the rotor. Second there is also the possibility that the brakes got hot enough to boil the brake fluid somewhere in the system and applying the brakes moved the bubbles to a cooler spot and condensed them. If I had to choose which I think is more likely I would certainly choose the first. Check for loose front wheel bearings and warped rotors.
                                                                  Best of luck,
                                                                  Paul

Had the same problem with the fan on mine, it also made an awful screech first thing in the morning, then the water pump started leaking so took it all off and fitted the pump for a mark 4 and bought a mark 4 fan on ebay for a few quid, much cheaper then replacing the viscous coupling, found out mine had destroyed its bearings and was locking up anyway.

Also have a kenlowe on mine, as they tend to overheat i decided to have elctric and mechanical fan to keep it cool (er).

As for your heater stuck on hot, mine also had this problem (common theme here :)  ) when i bought it, it had been stood for about 5 years though, found my problem to be the valve had stuck, took it off, cleaned the crud out of it, liberal WD40 and all fine again.

rich

Archived