edwardsbob

Hi Guys,

You can tell its a long time since I've driven an old car, cause the braking system (while full serviced and up to date with loads of new bits etc) is scaring the bejesus out of me.  Obviously been well spoiled in the interim period!!

Is there an 'uprate' kit or modification set that I can stick on the '79 Spit 1500?  To bring the brakes up to date a bit?

Please advise cause I don't want to go out in her at the moment!

Kindest regards,

Bob :)

Wuss!

Serious though - I know that the brakes were the biggest shock to me when I first drove my Spit - nothing like the proper anchors you get on moderns these days.

I guess it depends how far you want to go. There are plenty of bolt-on upgrades, ranging from improved pads and discs, the green-stuff pads are supposed to be good for road use, and there are plenty of drilled disc options available.

For a medium outlay you can upgrade to GT6 gear, with bigger discs and calipers, but you have to change the vertical links as the mounting holes and dust-plates are different.

If you've come into money recently you can always try to source some 4-pot calipers and associated hardware, but these seem to go for hundreds of �s for well used units, and there are mixed opinions as to the value of these - not sure whether they fit behind the standard wheels either.

The other option is to fit something completely different - I know some people have fitted some modern calipers, but have no first hand knowledge about this myself. You also need to consider that the Spits are a light little car, with pretty skinny tyres, so too much braking will just result in tramlines down the road each time you touch the middle peddle.

For my money, I'd say your best bet is the GT6 gear, combined with some driving practice - you'll be amazed how quickly you adapt your driving style to suit the restrictions of the car.

Good luck!
Neil

As npanne states there are many options from a few pounds to a lot of money!
Princess 4 pot callipers (very heavy) fit onto the Spit vertical link! I know cos I did it! it added a lot of brake pedal travel but it did improve the braking!
Willwood do a 4 pot alloy calliper replacement and work with a vented disc!
Vented discs (generally re drilled capri vented discs) are available from Canleys!
beware some brake upgrades require GT6 vertical links ect (as per npanne)
I would go for fresh fluid, Mintex 1114 pads and depending on disc condition new discs (drilled and grooved) all in should cost just over a ton! and a few hours work! You should see a massive improvement!
Rob

I would go for Mintex M1144 pads but standard disks are just fine with them.  The improvement you get from the pads will likely be more than enough to keep you happy - they are superb (about £40).

The main complaints with our cars brakes just now is due to the awful material which is used in the pads.  Remember that when these cars were built the pads were full of horrible stuff like asbestos .... bad for your health but good for your braking.  The metallic content of the mintex pads will eat your disks more quickly than standard pads but that's not such a big deal.

Archived