Triumph Brakes

Richie117

Hi Everyone,

I need to service the brakes soon on my HLS. I recently opened the rear drums to inspect the inside and it looks like it needs sorting. I attach a photo. Can anyone recommend which shoes to purchase for this and give any other tips as it will be the first time I have worked on brakes. I also need to replace the brake fluid as it is black. I am tempted to use dot 3 for this although I have been told dot 4 is compatible. Is this the best choice?

Your shoes look like they've got plenty of thickness left on the linings. You shouldn't need to replace them unless the linings are contaminated. Most decent motor factors should be able to get a set. There are 2 sizes of brake shoes but it is only the very late MK2s that are different. You're best using DOT4 brake fluid. If you're going to remove the shoes make sure the handrake linkage is freed up. I find myself having to do Becky II's every 6 months. It seems to seize up quite regularly despite lots of Plusgas and grease giving a poor handbrake. Make sure the handbrake return springs are there (there should be 2 on each side of the car).

Lots of info here;
[Sorry, link no longer available]

and here;
[Sorry, link no longer available]

Your brakes look fine. Give it a good clean with brake cleaner and away you go. Make sure the slave cylinders have some grease behind them so they can slide. Also, when you do flush your brakes keep an eye on the slaves afterwards. The black in the fluid will most likely be rubber so there's a chance your seals might start to give out after tampering. It's worth inspecting your flexible hoses as well. Mine were fine and original but I replaced them anyway. Replacement cylinders are all over eBay.

Archived