WeeAndy

Hi all recently drove my pi down drive, brake pedal is very firm and takes a long time to stop car, is this normal compared to modern car or has the fact that car has been lying idle for about a year anything to do with this

Any help appreciated, don't want to take car on open road and find i can't stop ;)

You can't really compare the big saloon brakes with modern brakes WeeAndy, No comparison.
But if it has been laid up for a time then there is the possibility that the front calipers have slightly seized or the rear wheel cylinders maybe requiring replacement. Jack up the car and spin each wheel to check for dragging.
I use a modern for everyday, and when I go to use the Estate, the pedal feels rock hard and it seems to take forever to stop ??)
Now that I am having to use the Estate everyday, the brakes feel really good and when i get back into the modern, the brakes feel too sensitive and with no feel :-/    

962 wrote:

Now that I am having to use the Estate everyday, the brakes feel really good and when i get back into the modern, the brakes feel too sensitive and with no feel :-/    

I couldn't agree more Pete, the brakes in new cars are IMHO over servoed, I like brakes that respond to a hard shove with hard braking and a soft shove with gentle braking.

Colin.

CRAJ wrote:

I couldn't agree more Pete, the brakes in new cars are IMHO over servoed, I like brakes that respond to a hard shove with hard braking and a soft shove with gentle braking.

Colin.

Actually Colin it has been really enjoyable using the Estate these last 4 weeks as my everyday runner, its only draw back is the diff whine at 38mph to 44 mph and when I get stuck behind a flip'n Supermarket lorry at 40mph it is unbearable noise to put up with, even the CD player at 27 decibels can't drown out the diff :B Oh and the drivers seat is lacking the lumber support.
The brakes are very good, once you get used to them, I noticed they have been up graded with Braided hoses all round ;)
I am going to keep using the old girl for awhile as well :)

962 wrote:

The brakes are very good, once you get used to them, I noticed they have been up graded with Braided hoses all round ;)
I am going to keep using the old girl for awhile as well :)

....especially the 6th March for Stoneleigh Pete ;)
I will be in contact soon re this, and getting tickets to you.

Colin.

Sounds like your brakes may be glazed / partially seized, or there could be a problem with the servo or master cylinder.

I recently had new pads and discs on mine as well as new rear cylinders and shoes, they are really very good now.  Needs a bit more pedal pressure than my modern Audi but the brakes themselves are excellent.  Just wish it had ABS.

My brakes were rock hard and rubbish when I first got the car.  It needed a new master cylinder to cure that problem.

Actually, the estate has recent recon Stag calipers and new discs, recent rear cylinders and shoes and resealed m/cylinder. The brake fluid was renewed with the calipers, it is possible your brakes need a little checking over, flexy hoses can look fine but collapse internally. Big saloon brakes do require more pressure at the pedal, but they are good brakes.

Colin.

I find the brake pedal to be very hard, but when you mash them you stop!

I think my altered ride hight helps this now though as there is almost no brake dive. My theory is the front goes down a bit then presses against the bump stops which forces the wheels onto the road even harder ;D

Archived