swoakes

I have a Toledo 1300 1975. The brake pedal travel in my view is excessive but for all I know it may be normal. I'm interested to know what pedal travel is like on other Toledo's. I have bled and adjusted the rear brakes so I don't think its air in the system. The pedal operates the pushrod into the servo immedietly but there is no action at the brakes themselves until half way to the floor. Once you reach this point the brakes are pretty good but the length of travel does not inspire confidence! I'm thinking it make a dodgy brake master cylinder? Thanks Steve

hi steve,
               my toledo has vitually no fre travel but they do feel 'dead' however they do work. one thing to look for is badley adjusted rear brakes. try pulling the handbrake on ,it should take up any free play. do they 'pump up'?   craig

one other thing to check is are the rear shoes worn where they touch the cylinders? i had this once on a car,they had plenty of lining left and was adjusted up ok but there was a 1/8 gap causing the travel,a touch of mig sorted it out .otherwise it could be the wrong master cylinder (too small if front discs).  craig

Archived