Conversion to Electric Fuel Pump

ham204

Quoted from chunky63
Don't forget to fit a inertia type switch to stop the pump in an accident.

The ones from Rover 25/45 / Land Rover Freelander are generally readily available and work OK but you need a 3-pin Econoseal connector (also readily obtainable).

Quoted from RobPearce

The ones from Rover 25/45 / Land Rover Freelander are generally readily available and work OK but you need a 3-pin Econoseal connector (also readily obtainable).

Yes definitely. I have a battery isolator very close at hand while driving but I suppose that something that works while I am otherwise occupied is a safe investment!

Quoted from john2502
If my mechanical one on the GT6 ever packs up I would fit this as heard good things (and heard too many issues with the repro replacement mechanical ones)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL.....15%26pid%3D100276%26

Facet one looks good too. Pays your money, takes your choice. 🙂

Thanks for this but it does not seem to be compatible with the Mk4 (or GT6 for that matter)

Quoted from Dannyb
It must be a low pressure one fit for carbs or you will have to fit a regulator. Tyoe ddepends on where you are going to fit it. Boot or engine bay.
This is the one I fitted in the boot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACE.....6:g:~uQAAOxyxpxQ7rEp
It keeps cooler in the boot.

Danny

I'll be going for this I think. Surprising that there are many similar facet models going fro much cheaper than that and look the same - maybe chinese cheapo copies!

Quoted from ham204
And where can I find a metal plate to replace the old mechanical pump?

Try TRGB. The plate was fitted to the push-rod engine as standard on cars with electric pumps - which means 2.5PI and TR5/6, so suppliers that deal with those are most likely to know about it.

Alternatively, make one. Use the mechanical pump or the gasket behined it as a reference for the shape.

Quoted from ham204

I'll be going for this I think. Surprising that there are many similar facet models going fro much cheaper than that and look the same - maybe chinese cheapo copies!

Although you search for facet, ebay does show some cheapo ones that are not Facet. There are some cheaper Facet's but the one I gave the link too includes a filter. I also brought another I keep in the boot as a spare for the RBRR just in case.  It's been fitted 3 years now since deciding the new mechanical ones are crap, and its not let me down, one of the best mods I have done.

Quoted from ham204

Thanks for this but it does not seem to be compatible with the Mk4 (or GT6 for that matter)

I fitted a Huco suction one to my GT6 at the beginning of the summer, and so far it has worked out great! I made a plate up out of a sheet of steel that I found in work (a scuff guard from a door ). Just use the gasket from the mechanical pump as a template.

Quoted from ham204

If you are using the dropdown menus on the eBay ad that relies on the seller listing all the different compatible makes/models i believe (easy enough when it only fits a few, not so much when it could be fitted to a whole variety of classics)

I'm sure this was the one people had fitted to theirs but would wait for someone to confirm part number. I'm sure both would work perfectly fine in their own slightly different ways.

As said intertia switch would put my mind at ease and be safe/recommended.

Make sure you use a suitable thickness of material for the blanking plate - if it's too thin then crankcase pressure can mean you end up with a leak. I've made mine out of some 1/4" thick aluminium. I have fitted a Huco filter in the boot of my Vitesse, behind the tank, with a Malpassi Filter King with pressure regulator. I also plumbed an inline fuel tap too before the pump, so if I need to split the filter out to clean it, or work on the carbs I can do so without fuel going everywhere. I've also got the inertia switch from a Rover 45, came with the harness plug and a length of wires for £8.50 posted off ebay from a breakers.

Further plans include drilling and tapping in a hose off-take, or welding in a hose off-take on the blanking plate, which will then feed into an oil catch tank on the bulkhead.

Quoted from ham204

The inlet and outlet pipes are adjustable every few degrees so you should be able to put those where you need them. The main thing you need to check for are inlet and outlet diameters and fuel pressure.

I think the one on my Vitesse has 8mm inlet and outlet, which is the metric equivalent (nearly) of the original imperial pipes.