Spitfire starter motor shim

Spitzinbitz

The starter on my Spitfire has not been engaging correctly. I notice that as well as the thick spacer between the motor and the engine plate, there should also be a shim - which I don't have. Can anyone tell me how thick this shim is and whether it's absence could stop the starter pinion engaging with the flywheel ring gear correctly?

if you have the original bendix type starter check that the earth connection is good and tight.

also the motor brushes can wear reducing performance and the bendix can clog up with dust preventing it engaging.

the shims are only thin so I would be surprised if not having one would mean engagement or not.

Okay - spacer is now fitted and things apear to be much better. However there is still a slight tendency for the pinion to jump out of engagement as the engine starts to turn - almost like the engine is too heavy for the starter to cope (battery is new and fully charged). I'm beginning to think now that the problem is partly down to the newly rebuilt engine being just a little 'tight' with good compression . . . . . . .

If you think the starter motor is slow, have you checked the wiring to the starter? The starter cables on my car were crap, and turned out to be part of the starting issue I was having.

I bought new cable from Vehicle Wiring products (I think, they're in Ilkestone) and solder on ends and now it's much better.