Low Compression

Matt306

My little four pot (which i will swap out for a six cylinder sometime next year/year after/maybe year after that) seems to have developed a little lack of power.

I have done the tappets to get a little stiff pull on the tappets when feeding in 10thou feeler and pulling back.

I did a cold pressure test and got 150/90/150/150 psi on the pistons. I know its meant to be done warm so went for a drive and run again and the offending chamber has now risen to 100 psi.

Not noticing any coolant leak but would like to sort the problem. Most obvious is remove the head and have a look but is there anything i can look at prior to that

the 150 psi is probably about right for the engine.

Do a wet compression test next.  That is, put a tablespoonful of oil in each cylinder and repeat the test.  This oil provides additional ring sealing and helps determine whether you have a ring/bore issue or valve seating issue.  If it's a ring leak, adding the oil will give a bigger improvement than a valve issue.

Hopefully it's a poorly seating valve and fairly easy and cheap to resolve.

Leak down test is another option but involves slightly more elaborate equipment.

Nick

Cheers all.
But some ep90 down the bored and all the compressions rose. From 150 to 250 or over on 1,3 and 4. Number 2 went up from 90 to 150 so a smaller rise so I am thinking valve stuck. I had the stems and new valves about 4000 miles ago . I guess it's head off time to grind in valve or is there an easier way. Or is my thinking to cock?

Thats misinterpreting the results.
Any rise = no valve problem
Only if the pressure does not rise can you diagnose a stuck or damaged valve.
The first will be obvious, running the engine with the valve cover off.

The reason why compression down on 2 isnt obvious.   Your numbers are so high compared to those usually got that I suspect a very sensitive gauge, so the absolute pressure in 2 may be so low as to suspect faulty piston or rings.
John

Leak down test if you have a compressor would be another thing.

Also check the torque of the head bolts, may give you an idea if they are loose.

To be honest its only going to take a couple of hours to get the head off & you probably need to do that anyway so just get on with it.

Quoted from RedRooster
Leak down test if you have a compressor would be another thing.

Also check the torque of the head bolts, may give you an idea if they are loose.

To be honest its only going to take a couple of hours to get the head off & you probably need to do that anyway so just get on with it.

You aren't wrong in getting on with it, I was in the garage and the head is now off.

I put photos in this folder;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ekn5ny4gBDwi2skg1

Head off
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mN2SAaQJuGeDF2702       https://photos.app.goo.gl/LH9t.....gl/vzqfFQ6DBQHLugTh2

Underside of head note the two lighter coloured valves ???

https://photos.app.goo.gl/l26ZznD72q8MLsAK2

I think there is thick black soot from the EP90 oil i tipped down the bores earlier.  

There is a slight browning on the edge of number two . Sign of a leak?

The top of the piston has a lip from the piston wear.

Anyway thoughts, before i take the sump off for the second time in as many months!

The lighter coloured valves is fairly normal - exhaust valves tend to be less black because they run hotter, and the inner cylinders run hotter than the outers. The brownish patches on the no. 2 piston are a little odd. If you do take the pistons out, I wouldn't be surprised to find ring faults lined up with them. On the other hand, I'd not be surprised if you didn't find anything.

Personally i would change the head gasket first, as the low compression should not really make a lot of differance in power loss
Like someone else said you can take the piston out and not find anything
One test my old gaffer used to do to check rings, is to get all the pistons level with each other and then put a measured amount of engine oil in each bore and see which one drained out first
It is a bit time consuming, but i guess its not  your daily driver
Good pics by the way
Cheers, tony.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice any issues with gasket and head was skimmed a while ago with no over heating issues since. I haven't noticed oil in water or vice versa.
Could probably do with a rebore though. I'll do the oil measure. I've never had pistons out so rings could be shot.

If you go down the route of taking the pistons out? I would measure the bores as you might not need a rebore and just get away with new rings
Also you might just have a "stuck" ring if it has been stood for a while in the past?
It would be interesting to see the pistons if and when they come out
Cheers, Tony.

Around the 150 mark is about right, giving the fact you have done the rbrr, i would now suspect an exhaust valve. so i would now take the valves out and see what they are like, as even using an additive the valves still run hotter on long runs at highish continuess speeds.
The smoke on the video is not excessive by any means.
Keep us posted
Cheers, Tony.