Matt306

Right fixed my engine hoist a 25 eBay purchase and mounted the engine side on to the engine mount.
I have removed the bearings from my 1600 vitesse engine. The big end bearings are +30 does this mean they have had work before? The mains seem standard but the crank has a noticeable ridge on the journal does it need machining?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9gNSM0i5l7BMf1ST2

Centre mains take more thump so wear more.  Bore lip does indeed mark the furthest extent of ring travel and shows there is some wear present.  However, you may be ok to just hone and re-ring.  Unless you have the correct measuring equipment at home you really need to get it all to your favourite machine shop for assessment.

Nick

Following on from my bearings, I dropped the sump of the herald today concerned by the low oil pressure at idle when hot. Yes the mains are shot little bit of scoring on the bearing journal looks ok from under neath no oil ridge in the centre. I am planning on swapping the engine for the 1600 lump at some point in the future. In the mean time want to keep the Herald going so going to just bung in some new bearings at £17 they are throw away price from Canleys anyway.

My query is should the main bearing bolts and big end cap bolts be replaced as a matter of course or can they be re used. I checked Haynes and no mention of using new ones.

Yep, that's done.......

Main is a VP2 tri-metal and quite likely the original.  I have a very similar one on my desk.  The big end looks like an aluminium-tin one so doesn't have the copper-look wear giveaway.  It's knackered though.

Worn bearings don't affect performance as such (though the crank rattling around in the mains won't be helping) but that degree of wear implies wear elsewhere such as bores, rings and valve gear which will affect performance.

As an aside the one on my desk is part of a full set from a very well worn 1300 GE.  All the (original) bearings except the top half of the front main are down to the copper everywhere.  The centre main lower half is through the copper too......  Oddly enough it had a nearly new high-capacity oil pump fitted.  They replaced the wrong bit I reckon!

Nick

I have had the sump off for a couple of days now so only a few drops left.
I tested the compression in the engine last year it was quite good I'll get the bearing done and report back as to worn pistons. Thinking the lack of oomph going up hill might be due to the overdrive box which and 3.89 diff. Maybe I need to check timing etc
Thanks for your help and advice as ever.

I'll be honest, I can sort of set carbs up OK, and a good friend is better than me and can get them pretty spot on.

However, after a trip to a rolling road with an operator who knew how to tune carbs (he had been involved in minis for over 50 years, also looked after some very exotic classics for customers with VERY deep pockets) the car flew. He did file the needles a bit, and commented the balance was spot on before he started. So a trip to the rollers is a good investment in my book.

Luckily I only have one Carb. I think I may try the tune up on the car until the 6 cylinder is done. The six needs a skim U/L valves crank grind , Rad recore, dizzy, carb rebuild so a bit of a long term project. Plus i  have a Spit MkIV inbound.

Bearings arrived , centre and rear bearing complete. Thrust washer was replaced as well... for the price of £6 might as well. And good job too, far less movement now. The old surface had some of it cracked away. Two more pistons and front bearing to complete, then torque it all up.  Seal up that sump , new oil filter, new oil... vrooom

Took the oil pump off its clearly had swarf through there as the rotors are scored. The rotors are within the measurements as per haynes manual should i replace. The oil pressure at cold was good at hot it was poor but hopefully new bearings will change that.

I will obvs clean the sump out at replace filter before filling with fresh oil