Alfa seats into saloon?

josh18

Hey. I have read somewhere about nineties Alfa romeo seats being fitted into saloons. I had a look on the net and found there is a bit on offer out there, including back seats. So my question is which alfa seats are the ones to look for and has anyone tried fitting the back seats in? I cant imagine them just fitting in but maybe they could be modified slightly and then stitched back up at a trimmer.
GTV front seats seemed the nicest to me as they looked the lowest which I like. Has anyone fitted the more common Alfa seats to their Trump?
Cheers
Josh

Alfa seats are becoming quite the comfy alternative, you can use either the GTV or 156, both are a relatively easy fit, Radders on here has a picture step in 2000 2500 section a while back. One word of advice, do not go for 2005 BMW Convertible seats, very heavy!!!!!
I am about to replace my the seats in the estate to '98 5 series leather (These are half the weight) including the rears, which will be an engineering challenge. If the rear squab is all foam that will be a help as you can rear cut them to the right saloon length and shape and then the trimmer should be able to finish off the cover to fit.

Got Alpha seats in Woodie - used it on the RBRR.  My back went out yet again about a month before the RBRR (I have osteo-arthritis of the spine) and created another problem about me starting but these seats meant that I was in complete comfort for the 48 hours plus the 3 hours each way to the start.

I bought them from someone who had them already fitted in a saloon yet runners still needed fiddling to make fit properly but end result well worth it.  Widths were fine but runners needed thick trimmed down spacers to spread the load on the holes in the runners but you have to accept some mountings fiddling when doing these sorts of jobs.

Not sure which model of Alfa they came out of but the nice thing is they do not have the Alfa motif on the seat back.

MUT

Alfa 156 seats there's two types, 1 has a logo and one doesn't
They are getting expensive as quite a few chaps fit to VW vans ( as these two have ! )
Red ones are almost a perfect colour match as are the blue ones, can't commemt on other colours
Useing the alfa runners - remove "spike" on the runner - use front holes but you have to elongate the hole (sideways) and re drill the hole for the rear bolts

Without logo

With logo

Quoted from TedTaylor
Got Alpha seats in Woodie - used it on the RBRR.  My back went out yet again about a month before the RBRR (I have osteo-arthritis of the spine) and created another problem about me starting but these seats meant that I was in complete comfort for the 48 hours plus the 3 hours each way to the start.

I bought them from someone who had them already fitted in a saloon yet runners still needed fiddling to make fit properly but end result well worth it.  Widths were fine but runners needed thick trimmed down spacers to spread the load on the holes in the runners but you have to accept some mountings fiddling when doing these sorts of jobs.

Not sure which model of Alfa they came out of but the nice thing is they do not have the Alfa motif on the seat back.

MUT

As the original grave-robber, they came out of an Alfa 156 2L twinspark roughly 99/00.

Spacers are needed to set the seat base angle that works best for you.  Can be fitted between the floor and runner but also between the runner subframe and seat base.

Another seat type I discovered recently (just converted one to office chair) is from a high spec Citroen Xantia.  Really nice leather seat and the runner subframe includes height adjustment but is also easily removable giving an almost flat base.

Nick

1526 wrote:

MUT

As the original grave-robber, they came out of an Alfa 156 2L twinspark roughly 99/00.

Spacers are needed to set the seat base angle that works best for you.  Can be fitted between the floor and runner but also between the runner subframe and seat base.

Another seat type I discovered recently (just converted one to office chair) is from a high spec Citroen Xantia.  Really nice leather seat and the runner subframe includes height adjustment but is also easily removable giving an almost flat base.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones

As the original grave-robber, they came out of an Alfa 156 2L twinspark roughly 99/00

Yes Nick one of my best buys of the year, thanks.  Fitting these seats was my first job on the Triumph after the knee replacement - gave me quite a fillip to be able to get out and work on the car after the boredom of sitting inside recuperating from the operation 🙂

MUT

You can also get "with and Without" drivers seat arm rest.

The arm rest ones have a pattern in the leather not too dissimilar to Triumph seats I think. I have the other sort.

As for the rears, I did some basic measuring and then put the rear seats in the loft, looked too much like hard work!

The arm rest ones have a pattern in the leather not too dissimilar to Triumph seats I think. I have the other sort.

As for the rears, I did some basic measuring and then put the rear seats in the loft, looked too much like hard work!

Quoted from thescrapman

Mine don't have the logo but do have an arm rest

Quoted from Rarebits
It's not an armrest, it's to support the front end of your skis when they're inserted through the ski-hatch in the boot.

Cheers,
Bill.

Have not got a boot - mine is an estate so the ideal ski carrying wagon ...... apart from not being the least bit of interested in skiing!

MUT

Andy is correct in saying that you sit high in the seats which normally for me would be an issue because of my back and knee problems.  

However because of the range and ease of adjustment I have found them very comfortable, and in fact on the RBRR Gordon wanted an upright close to the wheel position but I needed one the opposite, further back and 'flatter', and these seats accommodated the pair of us with just a moment of adjusting.

Admittedly I would like the driver's seat for myself to be able to go a fraction further back (about 1 inch) and is something I will do probably do but it is not an issue.

MUT

Thanks for all the info guys, that's a great help!
So Ted, would you say the 156 seats you have sit higher than the originals? One of the things I hated worst about my original drivers seat was that it sat you too high. I have now replaced it with a race seat which is very low. I reckon the GTV seats look nice and low but don't seem very common, with many more 156 and I think 147 seats around.