Brake booster/servo - single line

Einar

Brake booster/servo - single line: What is the difference between the brake booster of the type/brand «Lockheed» sold by Moss (and others, i.e. Canley): https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/brake-servo-assembly-gsm125.html  and the cheaper one at i.e. Rimmer, James Paddock and others: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RH5272  – I think this latters is the brand «Powertune». Any performance difference, or just the price/quality/reliability.

The moss one says "unbranded" so could be tgecsame as all the others? You can always ask who makes them.

I fitted a powertune servo to my Toledo, and it works fine. 3 years or so, including 2xRBRR.

I sourced mine from MGBHive via  eBay as they were best value for the same part.

Watch ratios, I chose 1.65 which is the one used by mgb's and feels "right," but more powerful are available. But they could be too harsh?

They all do the same job although of course different boosts levels are available (1.9, 2.3 etc) which is dictated by the diameter of the main servo casing. So it comes down to price/quality which is hard to judge - have heard of problems with the cheaper units, although not recently, and of course theyre more common so will produce more reports.....

On a Vitesse the only thing you might find fitting one is that pedal travel becomes excessive and you have to go to the bigger master cylinder (0.7" to 0.75" bore) as fitted to the last GT6's that had servos as standard.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve further looked into it, and it seems to be «two qualities» - one Lockhead at around £200,- and (several) aftermarket (Powertune etc.) at around £100,-. Boost level/ratio recommendation seems to be 1.9 for Vitesse – so I would probably go for Lockheed with ration 1.9 – seems to be the right one.

these kits are universal and not model related  its a one kit can or might fits all

its a box of pipes hoses and brackets  where and how you fit it is variable

lots of differing ideas out there .

we shortened the battery tray on the Vit6 and  moved it to the n/s  popped the servo in the gap

facing fwds.

others are mounted across the top of the clutch Mcyl.  

all down to preference 

pete

Well I believe as Einar says you do have to chose the boost level you want for your particular car (weight, performance) and personal preference (driving style, leg strength etc)..... There seems to be 1 to 1.65, 1.9, 2.3 and 3 with the second one usually recommended for our cars but best would be to try one already fitted because as boost goes up brake 'feeling' tends to come down and as we dont have ABS this could be a problem.