Alloy rocker cover

Trifire

Alloy rocker covers are a good idea, as Mr Buckit says. I've had two. The first was a chunky black Triumphtune cover, which needed some filing inside and to the mounting stud holes before it would fit over the rocker shaft. I always thought it was ugly, with poor paint, and so eventually replaced it with a polished alloy cover from Canley Classics. The new cover was about a kilogram lighter and fitted perfectly right out of the box. Both alloy covers sealed better than the factory pressed steel cover.

As for bling, even Triumph weren't averse to a bit of shininess under the bonnet. Remember the TR5's chromed rocker cover?

Often a problem with the pressed steel covers is they leak from years and years of owners hanging off spanners when doing them up, distorting the shape. I admit that they're not always perfect, but some judicial tightening on the nuts will see them right.

You could always drop some tubes over the mounting studs to give a face for the nut to tighten onto without compressing the steel cover too much out of shape?

I've found that a disadvantage is that the alloy covers do not have a spash shield inside over the breather pipe. Original steel ones do, so only vapour comes out of the breather pipe, not neat oil! I've gone back to steel but I admit I'm biased as I prefer the look of the original steel cover, when repainted.

Quoted from Pete Lewis
Tssc club shop sell the flat neoprene gasket for life specific to alloy covers

, no glueing ,

one advantage is better heat soak so no mayo in the alloy covers on cold runs ,

Pete

I was a bit disappointed with the neoprene gaskets. Very thin and the excess that protruded from the rocker cover started splitting, leaked as well.

I ended up using a flat sheet of cork and making my own.....still leaked a bit though!