2500 Front Shock Absorber

Richard B

I'd avoid the KYB gas dampingabsorbilizer inserts unless you're sticking with standard rate springs.  I tried them with the 160lb/in springs and in some situations they just didn't control the rebound properly.  They were fine with standard rate front springs though.

Note that KYB do gas inserts as well as oil filled ones which are meant to be for lighter use.  I've mentioned it before but the fact that one insert is sold as being suitable for a variety of spring rates just doesn't make sense.

Next time I buy front shock abzdamper inserts I'll get adjustable ones which will allow me to get the damping the way I like it as well as matching both compression and rebound damping to the springs.

I 'm looking forward to a test drive in a 2500S fitted with GAZ adjustable inserts and 200/400 lb/in shock absorbers. I've heard that GAZ inserts aren't as good as the Koni ones but I'm not really sure why this is.

If you order complete rebuilt strut assemblies from CW as I did then they should come with 'uprated' KYB gas inserts.

I asked for the 160 lb/in springs on my struts but really don't think the KYB gas dampers worked properly with them.  Interesting that they seem OK with far stronger springs.  I wonder if mine are faulty?

I'd spend the extra money and get adjustable dampers.  At least then you can get the car the way you like it. If you are a damping freak like me and make the wrong selection of fixed rate dampers, you'll regret it every time you drive the car.

Think of the differences in nose length and weight between a mk1 2000 and 2500S.  How can one damper setting be suitable for them all, especially if you bugger about with spring rates?

I had some rear KYBs but one of them broke - literally sheared at the top of the thread on the bottom mount. Replaced with Koni - comparing them side by side the Koni is of far superior construction.

Mylord Sorbs,

Koni's website doesn't list any "dampingabsorbilizer inserts".  It advertises "dampers" but, very strangely, it also refers to these as "shock absorbers" and "shocks" - so proliferating technically incorrect terms.  Very amateurish, and a bit worrying coming from a company that claims to be a leader in its field.

I'm with you.  From now on I'll call them "dampingabsorbilizers" as that's a much nicer word than any of the others.  Koni needs to be told of this alternative description so they can add to the confusion on their website.

Following lengthy discussions on the subject, I suppose you could consider the entire strut assembly as a shock absorber.  :)

I had no complaints about the quality of the KYB dampers or anything supplied by CW, quite the opposite, they just didn't offer the level of body control I expected on certain surfaces, particularly if the suspension had been heavily compressed on undulating roads.

If you plan to retro fit an anti roll bar then that's another reason for having adjustable dampers.  Such bars introduce another springing medium to the suspension and can have some unwelcome effects.  These can be minimised if you have the facility to tweak the damping accordingly.

AlanChatterton wrote:

Depends what sort of car you are building?

MkI PI   :)

210/400lb progressives front, 410lb rear (1" lowered all round) Spax rear, Super-flex all round, front anti-rollbar, 195/65x14 on Minilites. Sort of Standard really  ;)

I sorted out the shocks on one of my other vehicles today, they were suffering from a distinct lack of maintenance.  

They came without a manual so I've just left them alone for the last 4 years but it turns out that despite being cheapos they have a huge range of adjustment and it's pretty easy to renew the damping oil too.  Good for another 5 years at least.

Chatterton, avert your eyes.  A dirty bike, a chair which caught fire while being used as a welding bench and a patio with the odd weed growing here and there.

Hello Richard,

can you get Spax inserts to match your rear dampers?

I have Konis all round and don't remember them being overly expensive, but that was about eight years ago? (400 lbs ish springs front and rear, I forget the exact rating but not progressive.)

Alec

Archived