Keith

The suspension on my 12/50 is due for an overhaul. The 47 year old origonal shock absorbers are getting past their best and I'm wondering what to replace them with. Konis would be nice but a hugely expensive now, Gaz are a cheaper option but still may be overkill.
I don't want to change ride height or spring rates but just want to make it a bit more controlled, so I'm considering the standard offerings from Canleys or Rimmers, does anyone have any experience with these?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Keith

Think there are two versions. A cheap version has the top half (shroud) made from plastic, a pair of which I bought mailorder and was very disappointed with because I didn't want them plastic.

Despite that though fitted impossible to know and work far better on my saloon.

Now need to do the Convertible so I'll have to invest in a spring compressor. Its well worth stripping and powder coating your springs at the same time.

I can't say much about 1250's but for what its worth, when I renewed the suspension on my TR7 I fitted polybushes with standard shocks and springs. The end result has been very satisfactory & am informed it rides & handles very well despite some very spirited driving. Hope this is of some assistance to you.

All depends on what you actually require. My 1200 has standard cheapie shocks and yellow nylon suspension bushes, and drives perfectly well. My Gt6 has front Gaz shocks and yellow nylon suspension bushes, expensive shocks and to be honest I'm wondering what exactly the upgrade is over the original shocks, apart from lookng nice in a gold colour. Unless you intend to thrash the car, or do a lot of fast driving, standard shocks are perfectly adequate. I'd recommend anything over the original rubber bushes in the wishbones, tho!

I would suggest waiting until teh Stoneleigh spares day, and finding some NOS shocks for reasonable money, probably less than the new "black" ones and certainly better in terms of quality. Sadly the new onew are stamped "woodhead" (I think they are, but happy to be corrected) but are nowhere near as good as proper "woodhead" stuff.
If you are in a hurry, fleabay turns up a few. Just nothing black (IMHO)

KYB:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Autopartswarehouse-Limited/_i.html?_nkw=spitfire+shock&submit=Search&_sid=415463567
Or Monroe (check that these are actually Monroe):
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PREMIER-FACTORS/_i.html?_nkw=shock+herald&submit=Search&_sid=103538784

CharlieB wrote:
KYB:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Autopartswarehouse-Limited/_i.html?_nkw=spitfire+shock&submit=Search&_sid=415463567
Or Monroe (check that these are actually Monroe):
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PREMIER-FACTORS/_i.html?_nkw=shock+herald&submit=Search&_sid=103538784

Identical price as near as makes no difference @ £72 a pair - decisions, decisions!!

Thanks for the info. It seems from the collective wisdom here is that I'd be better off investing money in a set of poly bushes than in adjustable shocks that I'm never going to adjust!
The KYBs or Monroes look like a good bet, and probably better than the cheapy ones.

Cheers,

Keith

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my front shocks.

I noticed one side of my Spax shod car was more "bouncy" than the other at the front and that the adjusting screws no longer stop when turning them to a harder setting - they just go round and round and round. They do stop at 10 clicks anticlockwise though (having turned them 10 or more clockwise). Maybe this is normal?

So with the MOT looming, I fitted a pair of the Monroe shocks available on eBay. I am pretty sure these are genuine Monroe, coming in proper boxes and being stamped up as such.

Now both sides are more bouncy than either side was before  :-/

The Spax are noticably stiffer off the car too even on their lowest setting and both seem much the same. Perhaps on the car one was set higher than the other. I will leave the Monroes on for a while to see how it handles, but won't be surprised if the Spax go back on.

Glen.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Sadly the new onew are stamped "woodhead" (I think they are, but happy to be corrected) but are nowhere near as good as proper "woodhead" stuff.

If you are in a hurry, fleabay turns up a few. Just nothing black (IMHO)

They'll start painting the repro ones blue next....  :'(

• 5 months later...

I went for KYB in the end, not impressed though. I finally got round to overhauling the front suspension over the weekend and now it is all apart. Everything is in really good condition, including the shocks which have far more damping force evident than the new KYBs!
So I'm now thinking about re-bushing the half century old ones, giving them a coat of paint and putting them back (not that there's anything wrong with the bushes really!)
Anyone want some 2nd hand unused KYB shocks? :-/

Keith

Archived