SHOCK TRAVEL-IMPROVING IT...

spitfun

I JUST FINISHED THIS MOD ON MY RACECAR AND I THINK IT WILL WORK WELL. THE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING IS THAT I WANT MY CAR LOWERED TO ABOUT 3" GROUND CLEARANCE FROM THE FRAME (THIS IS A RACECAR REMEMBER). THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS WITH THE SHORTENED SPRINGS AND THE AVO'S  WITH THE SUPPLIED BUMP STOPS I ONLY HAD ABOUT  1.5" OF TRAVEL!! I BOUGHT ANOTHER SET OF SPRING PERCES AND PROCEEDED TO ENLARGE A HOLE IN THE LOWER PERCH TO ALLOW THE SHOCK STOP TO GO THRU IT. THEN I MOUNTED THE OTHER PERCH ON TOP. BASICALLY THE BOTTOM PERCH HOLDS THE SPRING AND THE TOP HOLDS THE SHOCK. I NOW HAVE ABOUT THREE INCHES OF TRAVEL AFTER I CUT THE BUMPSTOP DOWN IN HALF. THIS COULD BE A GOOD MOD EVEN FOR A ROAD CAR AS I MEASURED MY OTHER SPIT AND NEVER NOTICED IT ONLY HAS ABOUT AN INCH OF TRAVEL!! I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER MODS OUT THERE BUT THEY INVOLE WELDING WHICH I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO-THIS CAN BE DONE IN THE GARAGE WITH SIMPLE TOOLS. MY OTHER CAR HAS KONI'S ON IT AND THE SHOCK BODY MAY BE TALLER THAT CAUSES MORE PROBLEMS. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE. RICH

Sorry,no sketches I just kind of winged it. Pretty simple really,my whole objective to this procedure was to basically end up using the bottom of the original spring perch as the bump stop-this is as much as you can get on our cars without the shock body hitting that lower spring perch... Rich  :)

I have a very similar problem to you on my Mk3, the damper/shock travel is very small on my AVO's with lowered and uprated springs.  I can see that your mod would work well and certainly give more travel.  I suppose the only reservation would be that if the damper/shock were to bottom out really hard, before the spring bottomed out, the only thing stopping the damper/shock is three 3/16" studs and nuts.

Probably not a worry on a race car but might be an issue on a car used on rough roads. I reckon I'd need to make sure the spring bottoms out before the damper/shock does.

What you have fun there is what  the vast majority of folk dont see.
the AVO,s have  not got a cover on,so ye can see the limited movement.

there will be lots of others who cant, and are running on bump stops, or actually bottoming oot.
NOTE, that although you only got about 1 inch travel left / showing, that is NOT one inch of compression, as the inclination of the spring makes it moer.

there are lots of diff length AVO about, so you could have got one size less.

My own has got about 1 1/2 inch left, and marking the tops wid putty blobs,
it did flatten em flat, whenst testing owa ruff grun to see if it was going to bottom, but had 1/2 inch left to play with

Have you turned the track rod upside doon to get rid of bump,going that low.!!

M