spitfire mk3 front shock absorbers

plk21e

hi there again  have just put back the front suspension on my mk3 and with every thing back on the ground noticed the height of the front to being way too high.checked eveything and came to the conclusion the shock absorber or spring  was at fault and having an old unit from a mk2 noticed the distance from the bottom bush to the bottom spring pan was 110mm whereas the mk2 was only 82mm so i must have the wrong shocker.looking at rimmers web site the same part number is listed for all models including heralds!.the car i have had been kept in a barn for about 25 years with the chassis removed so no idea if things were changed then.so just need to get shockabsorbers with the 82mm measurement any ideas would be a bonus thanks  Iain

This seems to be a common problem and a number of people have commented on this particular issue before. I'm not sure what is being sold now and what the pan height is, but someone on here will know and may comment soon.

The ideal solution is, of course, adjustable spring height dampers, such as as AVO and similar. I've got AVO adjustables (rate and height) on my Mk3 Spitfire and it lets me set the front ride height to exactly where I want it. More expensive of course though.

Those black shocks are not very good. Best look elsewhere.
interestingly I noticed the other club is stocking monroe shocks, so they, as well as KYB and others are available. Sadly Armstrong (once a good make) has sold the name to whoever sells the black shocks (or at least the last cheapo ones I saw had Armstrong on them).

I like Koni, except the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily eneough I'm looking for new front shocks too and taking your comments on board I started looking elsewhere.  I've found out that Monroe Shocks have 80mm distance from the bottom eye to the spring pan as I called them today to confirm.  
I found them for sale on the following site:
<a href=""></a>http://www.monroeshop.co.uk/front-monroe-original-spring-seat-unit-fits-triumph-spitfire-13-iii-pn-r3300-single_p22317569.htm<a href=""></a>
This phone number on that site is an online sales company selling on behalf of Monroe but when I asked for more information she gave me the Monroe Tech department who got one out of their stores and measured it - it came in at approx 80mm.  Here's the number for that if you would like further piece of mind - 01216093032.  
I reckon I might go for these as they are only £33 each and rather than splash out on ride/height adjustable ones I'd personally prefer to go for some that represent originality.  

Hope that helps.  

Archived