Lower shock bushes

Nick Moore

I've converted my GT6 to CV halfshafts, and fitted some NOS Herald Monroe shock absorbers which use the chassis upper mount rather than the wheelarch ones. When I did this, I found that the standard Herald shockies, on full droop, let the CV halfshafts touch the chassis main rails. I initially suspected that the shockies were a few mm too long, or that the axles were thicker, but the problem's turned out to be the bushes. The lower shock bushes are designed for a thicker bolt than those sticking out of the rotoflex upright - see the picture. So, should I get some new bushes, or make up some spacer tubes to better locate the shockies? Will urethane bushes for Konis fit the Monroes' bush eyes?

Nick Moore,
Either tubes or lower bushes from rotoflex shockers would seem to be OK.
                                                                                 Cheers,
                                                                                 Paul

Nick , you seem to be missing the steel sleeves,!!!

But, if I were you, I would also cut the chassis away and re weld up,  where the drive shaft actually touches,.
will give you another inch or so travel,

an inch is alot , when you no got much to start with, ;) ;)

Marcus

GT6M,
Nick has fitted Herald shockers which do not have steel sleeves normally; if they are the same as Spitfire shockers as far as mountings are concerned.
I assumed that rotoflex shockers would have the same inside diameter lower eye as Herald, so the bushes could be transfered. Of course if the size of the eyes is different then a tube of the appropriate size would need to be found.
                                                                                Cheers,
                                                                                Paul

Hmmm, Rimmers sell lower damper bushes and sleeves, p/n 517666 & 517667. The Monroe's rubber bushes are just about the last rubber bushes on the car, so I might as well upgrade to urethane while I'm at it. Thanks chaps, once they're done I should have a few mm clearance between the axles and chassis main rails.

Archived