New Front Shocks and Springs Anyone

midgeman

I have recently purchased a Front Shocks and Springs kit from James Paddock at Chester £57.00 + VAT Good price I thought.

On inspection I am a bit concerned that the Spring Seat on the new Shocks is not a nice snug fit as they were on the old Girling ones that I have removed.

The overall diameter of the Spring Seat is smaller than the old ones and the raised part of the seat where it fits inside the Spring is also smaller allowing some movement.

The inside diameter of the new Springs is the same as the old ones as I have tried them on the old Shocks.

I have spoken to the nice Gentleman at Paddocks and he tells me that they have been made that way for a long time now and that he has never had any feedback to say that they cause any problems.

Interestingly the new Shocks are approx 1.5" longer than the old ones when measured from the Spring Seat to the top of the thread and the new Springs have one extra coil to the old ones although the overall length is the same.

My question is has anyone fitted these front Shocks from Paddocks and have you experienced any problems when in use.

SHOULD I BE UNDULY CONCERNED.

Your views and or experiences would be appreciated.  

I've no experience of Paddock shocks and springs, but I have bought other stuff from them and what I can say is they are a good supplier with an excellent reputation. If you are concerned they will accept returns so just go somewhere else. Fitchetts are not too far from Paddocks if you're in the area (I would guess an hours drive).

However, it is very likely the shocks are identical to those sold by all the traders at that price point. The latest batch may be slightly different though if this is a "new" issue.
Springs could be a whole different matter. If the spring material (ie coil thickness, material, temper etc etc) is the same but more coils, it will be a softer spring. However, chances of the materials being the same are negligible, you are in the lap of the gods with them really until fitted.

As Steve says, my dealings with Paddocks have been excellent. The one mistake they made was put right instantly. Well, first post next day.

2580 wrote:

Interestingly the new Shocks are approx 1.5" longer than the old ones when measured from the Spring Seat to the top of the thread and the new Springs have one extra coil to the old ones although the overall length is the same.

So long as the spring seat to bottom bush is the same as the OE shocks then the ride height will depend on the spring.

Do you want performance / go faster / handling / etc? If so I would return them and go something a bit more expensive Gaz/Spax/Koni.

Paddocks are a good supplier and will refund on unused items.

I had a problem when refitting my damper into the spring....they seemed like they needed a lot of compression to get them in....and I had trouble when tightening them.... See my earlier post on this: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1327413672/s-9/highlight-dampers/#num9

Suffice to say, I was happy with them and they have been fitted and the car drives very well with them in. The top hat didn't look straight after fitting the dampers...slightly cocked to one side....but once fitted, all was good under load

Archived