other shocks or top shock spacers

WIMPUS

Hi !

My spitfire is 'running' on spax shocks , they are only adjustable in damping & on 'uprated' shocks from rimmers .
From in the beginning it was a bit low on the front, mostly my front anti roll bar (clamps) get the punch when i hit something..

Today i was stuck in a hole, anti roll bar was hitting the ground/tarmac edge & front spoiler also, eventually got out after 10min.
And even when i crossed a main road my anti roll bar clamps hit the ground :/

Few weeks ago i was also stuck on something  :o

Sooo..

what's the best thing to do, buy height/damping adjustable shocks or those spacers for between the top mounting plate /chassis ? (http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/product/frontspringspacers.html&xsl=product.xsl)

I've been stupid back in the day of not spending 50 euro more for height adjustable shocks at the time  :B
Made a few mistakes, but learning as we go  ;)

I do like the look at the front, but if it's only 15mm or so higher i guess it would made a lot a difference !

piman wrote:
Hello Wimpus,

you should either fit different front springs or use those spacer blocks. You can't use dampers to control ride height.

Alec

And if you use the adjustable one in ride height shocks ?  :-/
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSA366SPAXAS

timbancroft61 wrote:
Wimpus, does the rear end still show such positive camber?

Moss sell nylon spacers that can be inserted between the turret and the spring cap.

At the back it's better now, the wheels are straight now and a bit in at the top/out at the bottom.
she's also not as high anymore as the back.
I think it's a bit lower then on the picture  :)

Just looked at moss, they do sell some big spacers !
But they have a spacer for between the top mount /chassis and also ones for between the spring & top mounting ...

That second part i don't trust that good ..

Ive got the moss spacers between the spring and top plate on my car, been there since about 1990 with no problems so they are good but would probably raise yours too much. The ones that sit above the shock top plate a smaller

Well it didn't bottom out with me in it, so it can't be too bad! Have you been eating some pies?  ;D
What spring rate have you got in there at the moment and what have you set the dampeners to? Spacers are fine to use. The front does look a tad lower that the rear in that photo.

ferny wrote:
Well it didn't bottom out with me in it, so it can't be too bad! Have you been eating some pies?  ;D
What spring rate have you got in there at the moment and what have you set the dampeners to? Spacers are fine to use. The front does look a tad lower that the rear in that photo.

;D, nono, i always needed to be carefull with holes & speed bumps  :-/
The springs are 'uprated' one from rimmers, they don't say much more  :-/

And yes the front is lower then the front ..
So maybe see to raise it  20mm or so .. that look also good i think !  :)

7915 wrote:
Ive got the moss spacers between the spring and top plate on my car, been there since about 1990 with no problems so they are good but would probably raise yours too much. The ones that sit above the shock top plate a smaller

Yeah, i was looking and those for between the springs are a bit big .. so will need to test those top plate ones.

A friend of me asked a shop near him for nylon sheets, but they only had cylinder shaped ones ..

I think it's better a take a sheet and then cut a round shape with a hole saw.
Then the side that is against chassis/suspension is the same height .

Been looking at ebay for sheets of nylon & just need to get a hole saw also.

Also measured how much room i still got ( with the studs of the spring top plate).
i've got around 14mm of threads left on them, so thinking of buying a sheet of 12mm or maybe one of 10mm also.
Then i can test a bit  ;)

4526 wrote:
A friend of me asked a shop near him for nylon sheets, but they only had cylinder shaped ones ..

I think it's better a take a sheet and then cut a round shape with a hole saw.
Then the side that is against chassis/suspension is the same height .

Been looking at ebay for sheets of nylon & just need to get a hole saw also.

Also measured how much room i still got ( with the studs of the spring top plate).
i've got around 14mm of threads left on them, so thinking of buying a sheet of 12mm or maybe one of 10mm also.
Then i can test a bit  ;)

Also canley's sell 9,5mm ones and also 17,5mm ones..
Those 17,5mm ones nobody can use the because the studs aren't that long  :-/

rotoflex wrote:
Did the factory fit spacers to the left hand springs of Left Hand Steering Spitfires as it did GT6's?

I've only heard that it was the GT6's, because of the driver sitting on the left side and also the fuel tank..
So it would been leaning a bit to the left i guess.

Been to my uncle's place today and told him about my idea.

He told me he had a piece of nylon sheeting in the old saw mill..
After a 10min search we found it !
It was around 5mm thick, but it will be as a test for now

He cut me piece off so i could take it home  ;)

Yesterday i sold a pare of spare front spax shocks to a guy.
He told me my car was probably so low because of the 'uprated' springs, had a talk with a friend and spitfire/stag/tr6 owner about it also.

So... should it be higher up with the original/new normal springs ?  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, last wednesday evening/night been talking to a friend that owns a Spitfire & 2 other Triumphs.

He said he actually like the look of the front of my spitfire.
But we agreed that even when it's 10 or 20mm higher it would look still good !

He also had seen spitfire's with 7cm between tyre & wheel arch  

Today i was looking at the wheel bearings and when i lowered it (suspension not settled) i took some pictures..
I actually find it nice also, seems to be the same as the back then.

But going to make the spacers out of 12mm nylon and well see how it goes  
Only thing left to do then is to get the front on the good height again and check the front wheel alignment again (Maybe my friend can do that for a small price because he owns a garage )  

Here are some pictures..
The 2 first ones is when it wasn't settled and the last one was sort of settled (will be better when i drive it a bit).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this afternoon i started to make some top plate spacers out of 12mm nylon & with help from an old top spring/shock plate.
I also made some other from 5mm nylon.

When i wanted to make the second 12mm spacer my drill broke, didn't want to turn good and smelled pretty bad  :o
Oh well after 15 years of great service it did well, already got a new one  ;)

My friend said that i can test fit those from 5mm first and see how it looks, then i can always take 2 5mm spacers and test that ..
& when i really want to test it all, the 12mm ones .

Also when i fit a spacers do i best let check the wheel alignment again?

Some pictures for you all  & what do you all think ? :)