Replaced rear shocks - what an improvement!

gfiandy

Today I replaced my rear shock absorbers. The old one looked ok but I had trouble with the spring bottoming out. Once they were out I could feel that their compression rate was much faster than their expansion rate . I guess this cause the spring to pack up over repeated bumps.

The new shocks are GAZ parts which are adjustable, I have set them a bit harder than the origonal ones expansion rate, hence muh harder than the old ones compression rate. The stability of the rear of the car is significantly improved much more stable and no bottoming out.

I have bought the fronts as well, if they make as much difference, I am looking forward to the complete package. The fronts are ride hieght and rate adjustable. Current fronts are some cheap parts I put on as the originals rods had rusted whilst the car was in restoration and were ruined the first time I drove it.

I also used some chain lube on the spring to lubricate the leaves. Can't really tell if this has made any difference.

Went for several test drives and adjusted the shocks a bit harder. The rear end is really well planted now, front feels unstable and twitchy in comparison. I hope the new fronts make it feel as stable as the rear now is. At least I should be able to get the car level with the adjustable seats.

Andrew

Hi Glen,

No I have the origonal fixed spring. It has been de arched over time and the rear now has a few degrees negative camber.

Whilst I don't drive that hard I did push it a bit whilst testing the shocks and the level of grip is very high.

I imagine it would take quite a lot to provoke the dreaded tuck under with the level of negative camber present.

Now fitted front shocks as well. I can confirm that it is worth the extra for good shocks. The old ones were only 1000 miles in and full functioning but the GAZ parts are significantly better. Almost all the bump steer has gone and the front is now more stable and better controlled.

Many thanks to Oscar for the loan of the spring compressor.

Andrew