shocks OK to solid mount??

spitfun

I seem to have a problem. I just installed my new AVO shocks on my autocross Spitfire. The problem is if I set the ride height where I want it I only have about an inch of suspension travel!! I have 480 lb. springs but I know the front is going to travel more than that. I was thinking about taking out the bottom bushing (under the top spring perch) to mount it solid and cutting the bump stop in half. That should get me over two inches of travel-I am concerned about solid mounting the shock to bottom of the top perch but this is a race only car and never sees the street-any concerns? I have seen the shocks mounted with heims on other full race cars and don't foresee a problem but I thought I would get you guys' take on it. Thanks Rich

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum, the autocross spit looks fun!

As for the shock dampers, it should be ok to mount solid, but you will probably get alot more noise and vibration feedback through the mountings, so would need to check regularly for stress cracks.

But my only concern is how you will mount them, as too solid is not good, the damper needs some flex in its mountings to allow for flex and movement when it compresses and expands!

your top shock bushes look very thick. Standard ones end up at aound 10mm when compressed.  Why not compromise slightly and try and fit a much thinner bush underneath the top plate.

The trouble I could see wrt going solid is that I think there will be some sideways tilting movement between the shock top and the top mount plate as the suspension traverses.  This is why the top plate is flexibly mounted, along with the noise/vibration damping properties (obviously not a concern to you)

However, what I would add is that if you have not enough travel for the length of shock you have and intended ride height, then maybe what you actually need is a different spec shock?

The Shocks are from Jigsaw and are the correct model AVO's for the car. Maybe I can make the bump stop and bottom bushing very thin and that will work. How much travel do the guys with lowered springs have-is 2" enough? The shocks on the yellow car (the avo's are going on my rotary powered blue car-RotoSpit) are KONI's,I guess maybe I can look at those for a reference-I have a picture attached,but it's hard to see.. Thanks Rich

6204 wrote:
The Shocks are from Jigsaw and are the correct model AVO's for the car.

They are the correct shocks for a standard or slightly lowered car. I agree with mikeyb, if yours is significantly lowered you will need shorter shocks, shorter compressed length to give you enough travel & shorter extended length so your shorter springs don't come loose on droop.

Also search "AVO bushes" the lower bushes on current AVO shocks are poorly designed.