Spitfire MK3 shocks and springs

Sideways Tim

Okey doke, the weather is more amenable to grubbing about in the garage and there's room for the car in the home workshop now, so it's all systems go on the resto-project for my lad and I.

First things we need are new shocks and springs to get the Spit mobile again, so we can push it round from it's winter home to the workshop. I'm a firm beleiver in doing it right and only doing it once, so what's the best option for a new shock/spring package. Koni, Gaz. Spax anything else worth looking at or avoiding?

Many thanks.

Tim and Toby.

Spax adjustables tend to become un-adjustable fairly quickly (or did, unless regularly adjusted and greased)

My choive for a mk3 would be konis with the 330lb springs, good handling, not harsh, good alrounder.
If you buy std springs, make sure you are NOT given "spitfire" springs, they need to be specific to the MK3 (guess 1/2 would be OK as well) 1500 springs are too tall.

The general opinion i received on this is go Koni first, then Spax and don't go Gaz. Koni are worth their weight in gold as far as most members are concerned (last for ever, can be rebuilt by Koni at anytime - life time guarantee), Spax are also very good and can be rebuilt, Gaz don't offer a rebuild and have a habit of seizing as they are not protected very well (adjustables). Springs you could go harder but depends on how you want the ride to perform.

Avo's also had a very good rep, although there were issues with these not that long ago. However the designer of these has a new company now, Protech I think they are called?? Maybe worth looking at, though I suspect they will be a bit more pricey than the options you suggested.

Cheers,

Phil

Go for Koni- they're properly designed for application rather than being random.

I don't understand anyone wanting to do things on the cheap or "different" with this kind of thing, it effects one of the most basic aspects of your car- the ride.

Allow me to add my recommendation of Koni shocks. In all the years I've had Triumphs, there are only two real downsides to Konis: 1. They are expensive to purchase; and 2. They cost almost as much to have rebuilt as they do to buy new. However (also based on my experience), there's a reasonably good chance that you'll never get to #2!

jcarruthers wrote:
Go for Koni- they're properly designed for application rather than being random.

I don't understand anyone wanting to do things on the cheap or "different" with this kind of thing, it effects one of the most basic aspects of your car- the ride.

because not everybody can afford koni`s and for a standard car being driven at road legal speeds standard shocks and springs are prefectly ok.

cheers andy

Everything thoroughly overhauled to original specifications is a good starting point and then drive it to see if you would like any "improvements" to suit your driving style.

Original specification brake pads and linings are no longer available due to the asbestos content and there seems to be a lot of discussion on the forum regarding less than satisfactory products on the market.

Except "standard" shocks are generally crap and nothing like what they were.

I'm all for a standard car but I don't think you can put one together anymore?

In terms of cost, figure out how much it costs to drive a mile these days and work out how much 400 quid over 20k miles ends up costing?

I just figure ride quality is a constant that you can enjoy the entire time you're driving.

My 1962 Spitfire could well be still on its original front shock absorbers, certainly I have not changed them since 1976 and it has covered 150,000 miles in my time.
Did change one rear one some years back because it was leaking but with one from a Spitfire of the same vintage purchased at the same time as the one I am using.
Seem to still control things well enough for legal road driving and no problems at annual road-worthiness inspections at several different inspection stations over the years.
Fair enough I am an old fogy now but was still reasonably young when I was using it to commute to work and did hit the high spots a bit.
I'm afraid I agree with Bill (Rarebits) that a lot of things are "uprated" to replace parts that are actually stuffed or badly adjusted and not performing anything like as designed.
It seems a lot of replacement parts available on the UK market are of poor quality from what is said on this forum, a by-product of everyone looking for the cheapest price.   None of the parts I have seen referred to, apart from the pads and linings, have been replaced during my stewardship of this car. (did make up a new carbon for the Delco distributor cap 2 years ago).

"Let the games begin"

Oops. Forgot about the universal joints in the drive shafts.
These have been mentioned in the poor quality replacement parts.
So long ago I had forgotten fitting old universals modified to use bushes.
Have changed a few prior to this, for some reason, usually driver's side (RHD)

James
My point was for a. lot of people now days these cars are only used weekend/sunny days and you don`t have to go to the expense of koni shocks for that, Not saying the cheap shocks are any good and wouldn`t fit them to my cars. Its just that koni`s are very expensive and a lot of people wouldn`t notice any difference.
A good example is i`m doing a mk3 spitfire up at the moment complete rebuild from bare chassis, But when its done my wife will be driving it and it will never go above 60mph and only get used in the summer when its sunny, On that koni`s are complete overkill as any decent shock will do.
My tr7 is a completely different kettle of fish, Used for fun and giving it a hard time driven all year round with everything uprated and running a highly tuned sprint engine. On that it has koni`s all round.
All the rest of my cars the shocks range fron spax`s to cheap unknown brands but all suited to the type of driving they get.

cheers andy  

Tom2000 wrote:
The general opinion i received on this is go Koni first, then Spax and don't go Gaz. Koni are worth their weight in gold as far as most members are concerned (last for ever, can be rebuilt by Koni at anytime - life time guarantee), Spax are also very good and can be rebuilt, Gaz don't offer a rebuild and have a habit of seizing as they are not protected very well (adjustables). Springs you could go harder but depends on how you want the ride to perform.

gaz do rebuild units and will check foc regards michael

2356 wrote:
Thanks for the advise folks.
I don't know what use the car will eventually get, but I have a romantic notion that it'll see some hard/circuit use at some point, so it looks like Koni's are the way to go.
Rimmer the best bet, or are they available elswhere?

I had an email today from Motorsport World and they've got 23% of koni's amongst other things, here's the link:-

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-manranges.asp?code=23

No connection, but I've used them before and they've been fine.

Cheers,

Floyd.

Archived