Late Mk3 GT6 Shocks

GT6MK3

So, since it was sitting still for 15 years, it seems I need to completely rebuild the suspension if I want the GT6 to match my driving style.  The 2,5 Stage 2 Jigsaw engine is sitting on the engine stand, apparently a wise man fixes the suspension first, then installs the donk upgrade.

Currently, it's at a "point it in the general direction system" of steering.  Not surprising, given 15 year old oil soaked bushes, whiny bearings, and stock shocks.

So the orders in with Canley's for all round polybushes, ebay's sending front and rear bearings nuts and bolts all round.  If it allows movement, it's being replaced.

So, the big question is shocks.

Hunting the net narrowed the field.  AVO, Koni, Spax, Gaz.

Basically nothing good on the net for Gaz.  Out.

Spax AVO Koni.

Spax and AVO's adjustable perches are both attractive, but both have been smashed on the net for rusting or sticking.

Spax especially so.

So I settled on AVO or Koni.

AVO, supposedly perch/rebound adjustable on car. Question mark on reliability/durability.  

Koni, much more expensive, pull off car to adjust.  Resoundingly reliable/durable according to legend.

My GT6 is a mantoy.  It'll never be a daily driver.  Driving it should always be a reward for the time effort and money I've put into it.  I've kept hold it for 15 years without being able to drive it, because I knew I would someday.  That days here, but it's a car I intent to just keep forever.  So I'm taking a longterm look at the suspension options.

AVO's, Fully adjustable fronts and adjustable rears will cost me 280 quid, plus 130 quid for shipping, (AVO UK)

Koni's.  Rimmers have quoted me 357 quid for Adjustable fronts and rears with a pair of up rated springs.  Plus 70 quid for shipping.  If I lose the springs then it's 357 quid plus 38 for shipping.

My dilemma is the easy/fun adjustability of the AVO's has to be tempered with the ridiculous shipping cost.  Rimmer's shiping cost is so much better, and Koni's rep is built onbeing bulletproof.

My GT6 is only going to head out of the garage on Sundays.  But it ain't going to be headed to church.  I expect to have a regular rewarding blast to payoff the hours/dollars I've put in.   5/10 years from now I dont want to regret qny of my purchase choices.\

Thoughts/Reccomendations anyone?

C

I'll leave the shock absorber arguments to the others (you seem to have  to make your mind up between AVO and Koni)

Whichever way you go The best thing I can recommend is to have a full four wheel alignment done once you have your car on the road.

It really does help when all your wheels are pointing the right way :)

The AVO lower bushing WILL wear very quickly and go oval.  I would go with Koni and just put up with the off the car adjustment.  This may be a pain to begin with but once they are set then they will be set for good and WILL out last the Avo (unless your unlucky!!)  i have done about 500miles on my Avo fronts and the lower bushing is going oval and thats with 280lb springs.  I want to run 480lb springs eventually but will buy Koni shocks first!

Cinders,
Another option is to buy your Konis used through flea bay; this saves a lot of money and Konis are so durable that they will still last long enough. After all, the adjustment in Konis was originally intended to compensate for wear.
                                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                                    Paul

I'll add my vote for the Konis: worth the initial cost and the (relatively minor) inconvenience of R&R to adjust. I sometimes suspect that they will last almost forever, and Koni will rebuild them when they wear out. Granted, the rebuild can cost almost as much as a new one, but at least it's possible!

It was the best thing I ever did to my GT6+ years ago, and a well-used set of rear shocks has made a significant difference in the rear of my Herald 1200 sedan (another well-used set of front shocks will go on the Herald sometime shen the ambition strikes).

I took out spax and replaced them with konis intending to use heavy springs for the track and swap out for softer springs on the road. The quality of the konis has meant the soft springs are mothballed.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers All,

I bit the bullet and bought the Koni's and the springs (I have little faith in mine after sitting for 15 years, and another hundred bucks all up seemed well worth the risk.)

Package arrived from Rimmers today, (Beat the polybushes I ordered from Canleys a week earlier...).

The shiny red shocks are gorgeous.  They've inspired me.  

Since GT6MK3 is up on stands for her planned Shock/spring/uni replacement, I may as well go all out.

So I started pulling out the rest of the rear axle today.

New plan.  Every renewable suspension part gets renewed.  Every non renewable suspension part gets pulled, cleaned, sandblasted, painted or powder-coated, then goes back in.

Spent 3 hours today praying over the sandblast cabinet.  The new springs arrived black.  Took time, but now they ain't no more.  The drums are ready for color too.  Since I was on a roll, (and could taste nothing but grit...) I took a first swing at the manifold for the new engine too.

I'm thinking it might be time to roll the refurb into a thread of its own...

Cheers all, thanks for your help.

Craig

Nick_Moore wrote:
This is how full body-off restorations start...

Nah.

2012.  The body's not coming off till 2012.

The timeline is adjustable, but currently looks like this...

1994 .  Bought her. Broke the gearbox after 3 miles, again after 3 weeks, again after 3 months.  Very angry.  Parked her.

1995.  Moved house.  Towtruck delivered her to a corner of the shed.  

2009.  Moved house.  Rolled her out of the shed.  No longer angry. Fix gearbox with Toyota T50 mod (Tick). Alloy Radiator. (Tick) Coax engine into life. (Tick) Drive her. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_fYKpceSuI (Tick) Buy Jigsaw stage 2 donk off net, await arrival. New tyres (Tick) New Screen (Tick)

2010.  Roadworthy and Register. (Tick).  Drive more. (Tick) Jigsaw Stage 2 donk arrives (tick) Renew/Redo Steering Suspension and Brakes. Make more adjustable. (In progress).  Polish/renew alloy bits for new donk.  Anodize.  (In progress)  Install Jigsaw Stage 2 donk (2.5, electric ignition, 6-3-1 header, H6 Su's.) (May/June?), Fit Sound/heat deadening (September?) New alloys and rubber. (December?)  4 point harnesses. Drive more.

2011.  Renew interior.  Carpet, Seats, Dash.  Advanced auto wiring loom.  Drive a lot

2012.  Body off.  Media blast.  Fix what's found.  Repaint (probably BRG with thick and thin white stripe).  Body on.  Drive a lot.

2013.  Buggered if I know...

It's all subject to change, fortune and finance.  But it's a plan.

C.
:P

I've got to say that the best thing I ever did with my GT6 which had been standing since 1987 was to get it back on the road (new exhaust, brake and clutch master cylinders) then take it on a 2 week holiday taking me from northern England down to Spain and back again. How's that for a shakedown run. Now I've started the body off restoration knowing what needs changing and what doesn't.

The only thing to fail was the overdrive solenoid whilst in France (made do with a piece of Martell Cognac blue string) and the water pump started screaming 2 miles from home on the return journey.

I'm not sure if I was brave or stupid but even the missus says it's a shame we won't have it back on the road to do something similar again this summer.

Archived