two anti roll bars strapped together

LadyScrumpy

Hello.
Again.

I was wondering about stiffening up the front with a second anti roll bar strapped to the first one.  It's cheaper by a LONG way than the moss inch bar.  This is on the front of a GT6 by the way.

How do you do it? do you just strap them together with about a million jubilee clips or something similar?
And what do you do where the mounting u-bolt things come into it? do you need longer ones?

Do you strap one bar below the original one or beside it. i.e. so they're aligned horizontally or vertically?  This presumably matters where those mounting bolts and bushes are concerned.

And what do you do at the ends? mount one bar with the drop links and leave the second bar or do you have to fashion a second set of drop bars in somehow?

Much appreeshed chaps.

Abs

Don't do it! you really do not want more understeer.
Just stick some stronger springs on the front, a tad lower. 480lb good.

That wil help the car no end, especially with some decent shocks (ie Koni) and rears set  fairly soft. Maybe a lowering block at the back too.
Get the car properly 4 wheel aligned and it will be as good as you can reasonably get it. Honest :)

I'm with Clive. only fit a heavier grade anti-rollbar if you want to keep going in a straightline.

What model GT6? Is it rotoflex?

Get the suspension up to spec first and do some upgrades on the way before doing anything radical.

Have the bushes been renewed in the last 5 years. If not do that first. personally I prefer Super-flex polyurathane bushes which come with S/S sleeves. After you've ensured the wishbone bushes, tie-rod bushes, steering rack bushes, diff mount bushes are in good condition.

Consider good aftermarket shock absorbers (I prefer Koni, but they are dear). Yes 330lb or 480lb slightly lowered front springs.

Hello

yes it is rotoflex.

The suspension has all been done.  I bought the car half souped up and I'm just doing a few other thigns myself.  It has Avo shocks front and rear, adjustable and they're adjusted to fairly hard setting.
It came with 600lb springs on it. but I might take them down to 330 or 480 or something a bit comfier!

It has polybush everythign apart from the diff mount, I still have that to do.  SOMETHING at the back rattles like bugger and I'm ticking off the things slowly that can rattle.  Diff mount is yet to do.

Front wishbones are polybushed but one rear wishbone is a bit corroded so I haven't dared try to take it off, so the rears aren't polybushed.  The rubber bushes look ok though.

I just wanted opinions about the front roll bar thing and how to do it if I want to try it.

Thanks guys
x

Certainly at the rear you want the shocks set to about 1/4 of the adjustment, ie pretty soft. I put adjustables on my GT6 (a looong time ago that was!) and set them hard, the car was useless and skittish. Nice and soft is much better.

Richard_B wrote:
I'm with Clive. only fit a heavier grade anti-rollbar if you want to keep going in a straightline..

Your spit's quite good in a straight line as well isn't it Richard  ;D

Seriously though, I have used a 1" anti-roll bar with my swing spring set-up and dampers set fairly hard for years ... always been quite happy with the set.up.  That was until I was privileged enough to drive a well sorted spit at a recent auto-solo with no anti-roll bar at all.  I may be changing my mind now  :-/.

Mark

Going by what you got in the engine department Mizz Scrumptious, ;)
im tinking of at least 160ish + correct.!!!

reason im asking I got similar set up, but useing a TR6 additional bar,  reason was, there is alott of GG,s going thru back end, this always seemed to make it want to change ends abit, when on alott of throttle in lower gears. specially on a bumpy road.
So by the addition of the extra bar,  its sort of made it alott moer neutral when I boot it
Ive never had, with this bar on and 600lb spings up front [ now about 500 with age they are ] any under steer at all, just as I said before, neutral

think alott of the folk woe get under steer are running wee skinny tyres too.and farr to little pressure in the fronts.   What size boots you got on,!!!! size and ratings pleeese.

Put wee skinny tyres on some of the moderns,and it,ll be intresting to see what happens then, as most of then doo go straight on now,with bigger tyres.

but all depends on how yer tracking,front and rear is set up as wee,l  ,all to his  / her thowts.

Not, a roll bar WILL reduce the road holding on the axle its set on,  hence why ,if other mods are not done, its not really a gain.

Marcus

• 3 weeks later...

Archived