Adding an anti roll bar

GreenV8Machine

I rate them.......... but just wait until Lord Sorbington gets on here, he'll talk about ARB's being the spawn of the devil!

My PI, standard, doesn't have one, and my god, does it lean round the corners.............!

Thank god the Stag estate has one.......... we'll be keeping that then!

Its a must as far as I am concerned.

AlanChatterton wrote:

My PI, standard, doesn't have one, and my god, does it lean round the corners.............!

Your PI seems to sit a lot lower than my 2000 though, especially at the back, maybe the springs and dampers are past their best? shouldn't really be too roly poly even without an ARB.  Mine had 2CV levels of body roll when I bought it but a new pair of front dampers (or shock absorbilzers) transformed it.

Won't this depend on what you want from the car?

I am lucky enough to have 3 Triumphs now - the TR7 16V tarmac rally car where I do want flat cornering, a TR7 soft top where it's not so important and then my 2000.

I don't need/want the 2000 for competitive driving, more for long distance gentleman's carriage :) Standard springing without the ARB should be fine for that are my thoughts.

Now if it's to be a sporting saloon it would probably be a different matter - lowered, stiffer and with the ARB?

Nahh, better tyres, = mare grip = more lean,  more like it
or really worn oot springs, :-/, or tooooo much bulk on drivers side, ;) ;)

good stiff front springs will act the same way, ..but..  will stiffen the ride up,
where as a roll bar will stiffen the ride in  lean,and one wheel bump only,

the rest of the ride will remain soft in two wheel bump

also will make the car under steer more,  if steps to remedy it are no taken,

Marcus

I have the estate with and the pi without, both have PAS, and the smaller/later steering wheel.
Lean on roundabouts is greater on the pi, but the jarring and associated noise over potholes is much less on the pi.
From my point of view I would have to agree with Lord Sorbington on this one, for everyday use the antiroll bar is a disadvantage for me in this country.

Cheers Colin.

2500S has softer front springs 90lb (and a higher ride height) than the 2.5PI 125lb. The S had the front anti-rollbar as standard.

I think thats the numbers...  :-/

CW intermediate fast road springs 160lb, then progressive spring is 190lb-210lb

Richard_B wrote:
2500S has softer front springs 90lb (and a higher ride height) than the 2.5PI 125lb. The S had the front anti-rollbar as standard.

I think thats the numbers...  :-/

CW intermediate fast road springs 160lb, then progressive spring is 190lb-210lb

I think it was just the saloon S that had the 90lbs springs, the estates were the same rate as the earlier cars, but a little higher ride height as you state.

Cheers Colin.

796 wrote:
will stiffen the ride up,
where as a roll bar will stiffen the ride in  lean,and one wheel bump only,

the rest of the ride will remain soft in two wheel bump

Marcus

Don't forget the horrible, sometimes violent side to side swaying motion you can get when driving along straight bumpy roads, throws you about in your seat, really uncomfortable.  Lots of modern cars are like that and it's why I'm not really in favour of too much roll stiffness.

To be fair, it shouldn't really be so much of an issue in a 2000 as the anti roll bars are pretty skimpy by modern standards.  Even so, it's an extra spring in the suspension system and one which only works some of the time so I'd say adjustable damping is essential if it's to be properly controlled as part of a retro - fit set up.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Better buy my PI then sorbs............ before I fit an anti-roll bar to it and RUIN it!!!   ;D

There speaks a salesman..................... ;D

I told you, there is absolutely no way I'm spending any more money on cars.  Definately not.  Not a chance.

It's scarily tempting though....................

Do you take brown saloons in part ex.......................?

If your big saloon has PAS then you'll probably tend to induce more body roll; you'll turn into corners far more sharply due to the quicker PAS steering ratio and the fact that you need very little effort to turn the wheel, like a proper luxury car.  The non PAS cars can feel a bit cumbersome by comparison.

Archived