Alex

3/4 weeks ago I fited an anti roll bar to my mk1, I've noticed a knocking noise the last few times I've driven it that appeared to be coming from the steering.
I just looked underneath and found one of my drop links has failed,in fact its snapped.

Any ideas why this may have happened?
Obviously it could be the fact it was a used link and it would have happened anyway but I'd rather check rather than fit another and it go the same way.Is there anything else that can cause them to break?

Hello Alex,

are you using all the standard parts from a later car? If you are I suspect you have been unlucky. I would get a new replacement but pay particular attention to alignment when you fit it in case there is something else bent or out of line?

I have a non standard mounting in my car but with the standard drop links and they have been in place and intact for eight years.

Alec

Where did you get it from?  My mate was trying to fit a new anti roll bar drop link to his Mondeo over the weekend, attempted to tighten the link up to the correct torque and it just sheared. Poor quality repro parts.  I've advised him to ditch the anti roll bar because it's proved troublesome over the years and furthermore,  they are the work of Satan himself.

If it's all fitted correctly it should last forever.  Sounds like you just had a weak link?

The link was a used one I purchased from a well known internet auction site ;)
I guess it proves that cheap aint always cheap ;D
I do have a pair of used ones still in the garage so I'll fit a different one tomorrow and see what happens.

Are there any 'uprated' links or only original style available?

Archived