Uprated anti-roll bar

Beans

Put an uprated front ARB on 't Kreng this weekend.

Quite a bit heavier, ø24mm compared to ø19mm for the standard item.
So in theory it should improve the grip of the rear end of the car.
Sadly havent had time for a test drive yet, hope to test it this week.

Of all of the improvements I have made to the car I believe that uprated front and rear anti-roll bars plus a strutbrace have returned the best performance improvemenmt for £s spent.

Well ... I've changed so much on this car's (front) suspension over the years that I can't tell if this is the best improvement.
Certainly rates very high among adjustable TCA's and struts, quick rack, uprated brakes all round, poly bushes, uprated springs, front strut brace and very sticky tyres ...

Don't think I'll go for an uprated rear anti-roll bar though  ::)

As the rear wheels are driven, it's better not to up rate them. Stiffening up the ARB on the driven wheels will result in less traction on the inner driven wheel in corners.

On a circuit car with (much) stiffer springs I can imagine that ditching the rear ARB would give better handling characteristics. As my car's used on not so smooth roads, my springs aren't that stiff so I need the ARB's to keep body-roll within reasonable limits ...

To quote Brian Culceth

Quote:
We did a considerable amount of testing at Cadwell Park, a circuit which might have been designed with the Isle of Man in mind. Tony and I found that the car worked best of all with rear anti-roll bar fitted.

Interestingly the team boss had it removed and BC didn't know until just before scrutineeering on the manx and
Quote:
thought it was lovely but it wasn't turning in quite as well as in testing

Archived