Ron

After a lot of faffing about I've finally managed to get the rear trunnion kits fitted, but now the vertical link won't fit. I was expecting a tight fir but this is ridiculous, it won't go anywhere near. I've tried all sorts to get the plastic bearings to go further in but with no success. The centre tube isn't quite flush with the edge of the bearings and I guess it should be, I just can't force them in anymore. Does anyone have any good ideas?? Or two, or even three??

Ron

Hi,
   I have just finished doing mine, and they were tight. Have you taken the verticle links off to do them ? I took mine off and had to spread one of  the verticle links to get the bush to fit.
I bought some rear trunnion bushes from james paddocks and when I fitted the external washer and "O" ring the bushes shattered, complete rubbish they were far to brittle, I got a couple of kits from Canley's and they were perfect.
You shouldn't have to spread them more than a few thou to get the bushes to slip in also check the washers are sat correctly (one inside the other), I think the old trunnion bolt had been over tightened on my Herald.
regards
Doctee

Doctee, thanks for the reply. Yep, the whole thing is stripped down as it was in dire need of some TLC. The trunnion kits went in OK with the help of a vice, no problems there, and they're as tight in as I can get them. Used the vice and a large bolt and a couple of nuts with a torque wrench to get them in as tight as possible. The problem is the vertical link, when I try to get it on it just moves the external washers. What did you use to spread the link? The front kits haven't given me a problem at all.

Cheers,
Ron

Thanks to everyone who's replied to my problem with getting the rear trunnion to fit into the vertical link once the kits have been fitted. I haven't really had time to do any more work on it just yet but the idea of spreading the link may just work, the idea had never occurred to me. I have a borrowed pair of suspension spring compressors and by reversing the loose end and fitting a smaller nut they will just fit inside the link, they can then be used to open rather than close. So when I have the time to do the work I'll let you know how I get on. I have a spare set of kits though, just in case!

Cheers,

Ron ;) (sleep)(sleep)(sleep)

Archived