Rear trunnion grease?

ResinRocket

What kind of grease should I use for the rear trunnions?

Am I right in thinking that the grease actually goes into the hub bearings? When I looked at the trunnion / bearing housing there seems to be a port going between the trunnion casing and the bearing housing.

If so, I'm assuming I need some sort of Lithium grease?

I'm starting to doubt myself on that now... I'll have to go and have a look at a trunnion housing tomorrow. Thinking about it, it doesn't make sense that the nylon trunnions would require lubrication whereas the front trunnion bushes don't (the oil just lubricates the threaded bit). Maybe what I saw was the port from the grease nipple to the bearing housing... that would make more sense! ;D

The grease point on the read trunion/bearing housing is for greasing the bearing, not the trunion.

It is always a good idea to grease the trunion when assembling it - to stop the bolt corroding in the metal sleeve and making it impossible to get apart without cutting the bolt.

The grease that is needed for greasing the bolt / sleeve is a good water repellant grease that will not wash out / off easilly.

Most people would recommend Copaslip, for this application, but I would not - it is not particularly water repellant and will wash out easilly and the corrosion will start.

Many years ago I was involved in research to find a suitable grease for a mechanism similar in function to a trunion, that was to be regularly used in wet conditions with minimal maintenance.  We tested samples of many commercially available greases in a representative mechanism that was then subject to washing and hosing down at regular intervals and then exercised as per its normal function.  The majority of greases tested failed after a few days testing, some lasted weeks, and only one lasted properly, and that was Molykote Longterm W2 - which is what I would recommend for this application - I use it on my own car, and grease all bolts that go through sleeves, and I have never had one sieze due to corrosion following grease washout.

Archived