Vertical Link/Trunnion Wear advice

Ingieuk

michael_charlton wrote:

Easy......just dont move the steering rack/wheel ::)

Hmmm your going to have to explain that one - I've done a complete strip down of the front suspension so both sides are currently in bits. I was under the impression as long as I put all back as I found it I shouldn't have any alignment issues - or is that wishful thinking?

I've been careful to put shims back where they were and haven't touched the track rod ends at all (or the steering for that matter).

Slightly concerned now!

Ingieuk,
Where you are replacing old parts that may have been bent with new straight ones of different configuration you can expect to need the alignment attended to. Your procedure is not at fault. Assuming renewing parts won't change alignment can be wishful thinking though.
                                                                                All the best,
                                                                                Paul

2003 wrote:
Ah okay, would you advise either completely replacing trunnions/going down canleys route then?

I find it strange one appears so much worse than the other! Its as if the RHS has failed in the past and been replaced as new.

Yes, I'd say that's quite likely. In fact, when the RHS failed the LHS probably needed replacing already but whoever did it was too much of a cheapskate. If that happened relatively recently you should be fine only replacing the knackered one.

9716 wrote:

Yes, I'd say that's quite likely. In fact, when the RHS failed the LHS probably needed replacing already but whoever did it was too much of a cheapskate. If that happened relatively recently you should be fine only replacing the knackered one.

I think your probably right the more I think about it, however gone down the Canleys route now so can forget all about them! Still may be able to sell the good vertical link I guess.

Quote:
As has been mentioned when done I'd take it to get a 4 wheel alignment sorted. Shouldn't be too pricey and will make the car handle like a dream! Good luck with the rest of the rebuild.

Was looking at a Gunsons Trackrite etc but maybe taking it somewhere would be best. Will have to look to free off the trackrod ends/tie rods before - they look pretty well stuck!