Vertical Link/Trunnion Wear advice

Ingieuk

Hi,

Being new to the world of Triumph I would quite like some advice on the condition of some vertical links. I'm currently overhauling the front suspension on my GT6. I've checked for vertical play of which there isn't any, however when I've removed the LH vertical link I've found the thread damage in the pictures. There is some very light pitting where the seal meets the vertical link. The trunnion looks like it is new, certainly not original (car restored in 2000).

Basically, is it scrap?

If so - Canleys conversion or new vertical links? Having had a search it seems those who have the conversion are very happy, then again a lot of people seem happy with buying new vertical links.

Advice welcomed! Happy New Year all.

Rich

P.S. Having said that the more I look at the pic, the more I think its probably scrap!

Ditto

I did a club mag article on the changeover to the Canley trunnion less conversion
With this system you could `throw` the car around corners and have the confidence in coming out the corner alive
Being a Club member has its advantages ....as you can read up on such topics  .............and we are so helpful ;) ;)

2003 wrote:
Scrap it is, thanks for the consensus.

I've just taken the RHS off, any thoughts? To me it looks okay, again new-looking trunnion. I think I may be able to re-use it and buy a new LHS vertical link.

That may be OK with a new trunnion etc, however when they snap ,they generally go where the thread meets the neck, ......that bit in the photo where you can see a bit of wear then to the pitted area
Generally they never snap on the threaded bit....
When the VL is screwed up and on tight to a new trunnion then it may seem fine, but when the car is going around bends/corners ,the stress is put on the neck of the threaded portion
NB...when they snap , be prepared for a heck of a bang when they drop at the front end

michael_charlton wrote:
Ditto

I did a club mag article on the changeover to the Canley trunnion less conversion
With this system you could `throw` the car around corners and have the confidence in coming out the corner alive
Being a Club member has its advantages ....as you can read up on such topics  .............and we are so helpful ;) ;)

Which one?

2003 wrote:
Ah okay, would you advise either completely replacing trunnions/going down canleys route then?

I find it strange one appears so much worse than the other! Its as if the RHS has failed in the past and been replaced as new.

Could be down to a few things:
Not lubricated evenly
Trunnions could be odd...eg from different manufacturers....fitting and wearing oddly
Not fitting correctly in the lower wishbones

2003 wrote:
Scrap it is, thanks for the consensus.

I've just taken the RHS off, any thoughts? To me it looks okay, again new-looking trunnion. I think I may be able to re-use it and buy a new LHS vertical link.

thanks for posting these up, I have been trying to decide if mine are ok and both look like this which is good

No problem, however I may not be the greatest judge given I've only just taken mine off for the first time! To me the rhs one seems good for the moment, however as stated that's no guarantee!

In the back ofor my mind I think I should go trunnionless, would quite like to do something competitive (not sure what yet!) so maybe it would be worth it. Also it sounds as though damage can occur to bonnet etc.

Currently the kits are out of stock at Canleys so it will be the normal vl for now.

2003 wrote:
No problem, however I may not be the greatest judge given I've only just taken mine off for the first time! To me the rhs one seems good for the moment, however as stated that's no guarantee!

In the back ofor my mind I think I should go trunnionless, would quite like to do something competitive (not sure what yet!) so maybe it would be worth it. Also it sounds as though damage can occur to bonnet etc.

Currently the kits are out of stock at Canleys so it will be the normal vl for now.

If you get an new vertical link you need to have a look if the oil way is drilled straight ..
A few months or even a year ago there was a thread on here.
He had vertical links in his shed, he didn't know why they where in.. but after investigation it found why he put them there.

He found out some oil ways where drill not straight, so the threaded part was on one side very thin ! :o
So if you get a new one, do check it ! (someone on here will find the thread i hope, it shows it very good)  :)

Thanks for pointing this out, I will take a very good look! Again another reason to go trunnionless I guess. Depends on Canleys stock though, anyone had experience of how long they take to come into stock? I'm guessing they're made in batches.

Didn't realise people were so passionate about trunnions!

I usually just send them a quick email if an item is out of stock to find out. Or call.

Yeah it's a bit of a "Hot topic" with these cars. But most likely because of the dangers that can occur if this happens at high speed. As it has been said the standard setup with a good quality set of vertical links will work fine if regularly oiled with the correct oil in the correct way. I just fancied a solution that I didn't have to keep remembering.

The fit and forget aspect is attractive.  I've noticed some complaining about the fact the lower ball joint is only fixed by a single bolt and a ridge on the ball joint. I'm guessing it's not an issue? In all the reading I've not seemn anyone actually have a failure.

I will be going trunionless when the spit is done.
As said above, there is not a lot of problem with the trunionless kit, but as said, it's secured by the "pinch" of the single bolt.
There is the flange at the top that helps prevent it moving, i did see on another forum (forgot where) that one chap had some problems with the flange part twisting and bending slightly, but that could be an easy fix during manufacture, by increasing the material thickness at that end! If it's not already been solved.

• 1 month later...