Front Trunnion refurb questions

siroldvolks

Very interesting thread following my recent trunion/uprights woes-I now have three RH uprights! one has liquid metal in place of a grease nipple! one has a bollocks thread for the steering arm-nice as this was sold to me as a good spare! and the one I've ended up using which isn't perfect but will do the job -(I will take some spares on the 10CR!) any way I noted that the inserts were bloody tight in the new kits and ended up using new inserts in a good hardly used set of bearing bushes -(they came off the original "liquid metal" upright found on the car!) the quality and fit of this old set seemed far better the the new kit I had!? is it that parts from 15 years ago were better made as there was greater demand?
Now for school boy question -out of curiosity I tried the (new)  trunion on each upright on one of them it became tight about two turns from the "top" backed off 180 deg  and no play - on the other two it became tight right at the top backed off 180 deg and a little play , the treads looked fine on the upright so why should the trunion become tight earlier on one upright? I guess wear- here comes the school boy question- which is more worn?! the one  that gets tight early or the other that get tight further up the thread?

Archived