Oiling the trunnions.

Crispy

I have just bought my first ever classic (MK3 GT6) and do not have much experience with them. It was a part resto and needs the trunnions oiled, could anyone please give me some advice on a good way to do it and what to use as some websites say 90W oil and others say grease is fine?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
EP90 gearoil is what you want. NOT grease.
(I use ep80/90, comes in a big 5L tub and goes in the gearbox, diff and trunnions)
I use a small pump grease gun I keep filled with oil similar to
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREASE-GUN-POM-POM-TYPE-TECALEMIT-ENGLAND_W0QQitemZ350220046295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item518abdcfd7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
but mine is smaller! came from a boot same for a quid. Alternatively people have found other ways,  a std oilcan and a screw-in adaptor (poss a grease nipple with its innards missing or whatever) all seem to work. Just put a tray or something under the trunnion, it can be a little messy. And I have always jacked the car up, not sure if it is needed or not.

Clive

PS... if there is grease already in the trunnions then best remove from vertical link and degrease
Then whilst off make sure the trunnion is leak proof, by pouring oil in and leaving over night on the bench
If they leak, solder up the coin base to stop leak around coin to brass trunnion

and get a repro original workshop manual well worth putting on your wish list

TSSC shop and others sell them   there's also a CDrom but you cant read that in the little room.   much better for the right facts , haynes are ok but the detail is limited    Pete

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll get myself some oil and make sure they're de-greased.

Royboy66, My car is a part restoration I bought off e-bay, it's had the chassis stripped down and most of the bodywork and mechanical stuff has been sorted but the interior is in a very poor condition (or missing) and neads completely re-upholstering there are no carpets, roof lining, door cards and some of the dash is missing olso the interior I do have is in 3 boxes so quite a bit to do there. I'll try and post some pics soon.

Archived