Steering Column

JimBurgess

As I try to get ready to lift the GT6 MK3 body I find I cannot get the steering column coupler to let go of the column.  The lower coupler bolts are loosened and the upper crash impact clamp is removed.  The upper column slides but I just can't seem to get the lowere column to slide out of the couplers.  Any tricks out there???
Thanks...

Nice Avatar mate, I thought you were someone else for a min.

It should slide out at the UJ before the steering rack, there is also a coupling near to the bulkhead which should split in two.

If it has not been off for ages may need a tap with a persuader.

Chapter 11 of the Haynes Manual (spitfire) as same rack.

Rob

2704 wrote:
The lower coupler bolts are loosened and the upper crash impact clamp is removed.  

The bolt needs to be removed completely, it sits in a recess at 90 degrees to the splines.
If it still won't slide, I use a blunt chisel to spread the joint slightly,

Cheers,
Bill.

380 wrote:
That avatar's already in in use by Velocita Rosso, one of the club head honchos mate.

So what if its is or is it a case of he is a 'head honhco' so you must remove it because you dont want to vexed and have a curse of 1000 austins placed apon you, as far as I can see there are no rules about using avatars unless they are copy writed.

377 wrote:

So what if its is or is it a case of he is a 'head honhco' so you must remove it because you dont want to vexed and have a curse of 1000 austins placed apon you, as far as I can see there are no rules about using avatars unless they are copy writed.

No there aren't any 'rules' but it's confusing for the rest of us!  :)

377 wrote:

Avatars are used to identify yourself easily, I associate that avatar with Velocita Rosso and as soon as I saw the avatar assumed it was a post by Velocita Rosso.

377 wrote:

Yeah...............................no just that people recognise the pics quicker

Archived