Steering rack dismantling/cleanup questions

rotoflex

Some animal got under the hood of the GT6 & shredded the steering rack boots.

The top halves are completely gone, exposing the stuff beneath, & making things worse, the animal left some kind of  orange sand or red dirt there on top of the grease & components.

So it looks like I must remove the rack & clean away the gritty stuff.

Before I pull out the factory shop manual which will tell me how to reduce the rack to the molecular level using specialized Churchill tools, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with cleaning away a superficial layer of sand or whatever on the exposed areas?

I''m assuming it was squirrels, but how they tracked sand in there is beyond me.

Boots off,set the rack so one side is fully out (guess you may want to give the other end a wipe down first) then I would wipe down, possibly spray with solvent of some kind.
However, there is nothing to taking the ball joint assemblies off the rack, you just need a couple of large spanners (wrenches!) after knocking the locking tags back. Then you can give them a thorough clean and re-grease.
just done that on mine, and going to take them apart again soon so I can pop a spacer in to restrict the the full lock on the car. (I used a bit of old rack tube welded to spare some spare ball joint big nuts, all from a bent rack)

Bill they are v easy to tek apart.
only thing is, you will need 2 big spanners, these for the end nuts.
if you take the wheels off, and then slacken the nuts on the end opposite the steering  shaft, then you can, after taking the  the pinion out, pull the lot out from the rack tube.
but you may loose the wee nylon bit underneath the clamp. unless you take one clamp off, then you might as well tek both off.

a vice is a handy thing  to have as weel

if theres wear in the bush end, then replace they no that dear
it is easy,

rgds Marcus

Archived