Steering column headlight switch and relays

mowerman

Having just completed the RBRR with only the headlight main beam switch failing I realise how such a cheap component could have caused an early demise  :( The spotlights are wired in on a seperate loom, relay operated but activated with the column switch, according to various people it`s the contacts in the switch that have welded themselves together thus causing the failure. I know James Carruthers (?) posted a wiring diagram of how to completely rewire the headlamp circuit with relays to include spot and fog lamps. However I really don`t want to do a rewire, is it possible to modify the existing circuit with relays in order to prevent this problem again? If so where do I put relays, additional fuses etc? Has anyone even done this? Thanks, Steve.

Steve,

I did mine by running new heavy duty cables from the battery up to the bonnet and positioning the relays in the front LH corner of the bonnet.  The existing feed wires (and thus the dip switch contacts) are then used only to power the relay coils.  Dip and main feed wires were fused separately.  Apart from a couple of holes to secure the relays this is completely reversible.

Nick

Archived