Steering rack - play

Einar

There is some play in the steering rack on the RH-side (i.e. on the passenger side on a LHD-car). I thought it was simply some play in the ball pin / ball house. However, when removing the gaiter I figured out that there is some vertical play in the rack itself – see pic. Anyone know how I should proceed to fix this?  

Yes, you need to take the rack out and remove the inner ball joint from the other end so you can withdraw the rack itself from the tube.  Then you will need to extract the old bush and gently tap in the new one before reassembling.

It's all quite straightforward but a workshop manual would certainly help!

Nick

one point is there is a nylon anti rattle plug fitted in a hole in the rack tube on  the passenger side under the rubber rack mount  this is available from Moss
item 66 but not shown in right place  
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=7983

if you have alloy mounts this will fall out and you get rack movement and rattle on poor surfaces  
solution is new plug and jubilee clip over it to hold it in place        Pete (   worth a check   just s simpler job if that helps  )

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve now dismantled the rack and are about to change the rack bush tube end. The rack is earlier than 1966 so there is no hole for the anti rattle plug. I’m considering drilling a hole to fit such a plug. Are there any reasons for not doing that? Just to be sure before I drill. Any opinions?

Archived