1970 Herald 13/60 Steering wheel.

MrMeeky

Is it possible to change it for an earlier model? I'm not a fan of the 1970 steering wheel. I was thinking more along the lines of the late 50s/mid 60s version. So is this a possibility? If so, how much would it cost to get hold of one?                                                                                            

All Heralds used the same design of steering wheel as standard, Black plastic on most, but Grey plastic on the 1959-61 948 engined models.
There were however various wood and leather rim wheels available as options, or as aftermarket accessories, throughout production. Some of these are quite rare, while there are some budget types which are currently available. Most of these have badly thought out hornpush arrangements though, so sometimes not a straightforward fit,.
Tell us what style you fancy adnd we can probably offer more specific advice,
Cheers,
Bill.

643 wrote:
I'd like one a little closer to this:

That's the original wheel you want then - good call. Surprisingly, it's getting quite difficult to find them in good condition. They suffer from cracking where the centre spoke meets the rim, I've got about 15 or so here and they are all affected to some degree. Having said that, if you find one, it shouldn't cost a great deal, and I'll bet that someone reading this will have one spare......
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for the info, Bill. I love the old wheel but if it's prone to cracking I guess I should opt out. I don't really have the funds to constantly replace it. Is there anything similar from another car that is a little sturdier?

I wouldn't be concerned about safety with a cracked original pattern wheel, it's just they can make an otherwise tidy interior look scruffy. Still infinitely preferable to some of the nasty aftermarket wheels!
As Colin says, the original wheel has a steel inner with plenty of strength. External damage can be rebuilt using epoxy putties and repainted,
Chers,
Bill.

I'm sure I've got one in the garage, it's yours if you want it. I'll go check for cracks (and to make sure I still have it) but I'm pretty sure it's OK.
I could be wrong but I don't think there's any difference in fitting of Herald steering wheels, they are all the same fitting (Bill will know for sure)

That would be brilliant! Though, I'd need some info on how to go about fitting it. Also, I wouldn't be able to collect it so we'll have to work out the postage costs and I'll pay for it to be posted? If that doesn't trouble you, anyway.

Archived